The OHS Pipe Organ Database

BuilderID 1803

Builder Identification

Boston, Massachusetts 1827-1872; succeeded by E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings.

Additional Notes

  • Note from the Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, May 27, 2017. -

    The firm of E. & G. G. Hook was established by brothers Elias Hook and George G. Hook in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1827; they relocated to Boston, Massachusetts, in 1831. The Hook brothers had been cabinet makers who apprenticed with the organ builder William Goodrich prior to opening their own shop. By 1860, the firm was the largest organ builder in the United States. The firm was producing roughly twenty organs per year prior to stopping production during the Civil War. Production resumed in 1864, and reached its former level the same year.

    The firm was succeeded by E. & G. G. Hook & Hasting in 1872 when junior partner Frank Hastings became a full partner.


    • Orpha Ochse. The History of the Organ in the United States (Indiana University Press, 1975), 122-130, 217.

  • For further information see E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings


  • ________________________________
    / / / / Archived Note / / / /
    The following note is from a previous version of this entry; it has been superseded by the note above, which contains additional information.

    Begin original note:

    Note from the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va., Organ Historical Society, 1991; rev. ed., 1997, with updated information). Edited for the revised OHS Online Database website, 2017. -

    Established by Elias and George G. Hook in Salem, Massachusetts, 1827; relocated to Boston, Massachusetts, 1831; succeeded by E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings, 1872.

    Staff: see listing under Hook & Hastings.


    • Organ Handbook: 1986 (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1986), 15.

Database Entries

There are 710 entries in the database that describe organs by E. & G. G. Hook.

We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.

Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.


OHS Logo

This page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate and Memorial Plaque. Photograph by Jake Cihla

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Harold Stover