The OHS Pipe Organ Database

BuilderID 3929

Builder Identification

Ripon, Wisconsin, 1867-1870; Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1870.

Additional Notes

  • From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1991). —

    Succeeded Marshall Brothers Organ Co.; partnership of the Marshall brothers with Phillip Odenbrett in Ripon, Wisconsin, 1867; relocated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1870; Marshall Brothers firm resumed thereafter.

    Staff: William H. Turner.

    Sources:

    • Organ Handbook 1986 (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society), 17.
    • Richard Weber, "Sketches of Milwaukee Organbuilders, 1847-1902", The Tracker 34:1 (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1990), 18.

  • For further information, see:
    See Main Entry at Marshall Brothers Organ Co.
    See Phillip Odenbrett
     

  • From Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, October 7, 2019. —

    George Marshall (1828-1896) and Octavius Marshall (ca. 1842- 1918) were the first of four brothers to settle in the village of Ripon, Wisconsin around 1860. Marshall Brothers Organ Co. was established by brothers George, Thomas, Edward, and Octavius Marshall and John L. Lancashire in Ripon, 1864, although only George and Octavius took an active part in the business. In 1867-68, Philipp Odenbrett, who had a shop in Waupun, Wisconsin, joined the Marshalls and the firm was then styled Marshall and Odenbrett. St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Watertown, Wisconsin, had what must have been one of the first products of that union.

    On 19 March 1870, the factory in Ripon was destroyed by fire, with losses of $12,000.00 and insurance of $5,500.00. Cities in the area were eager to gain new industries and in the ensuing days, there were reports that Janesville and Watertown, Wisconsin, as well as Chicago, were courting the Marshalls. Finally in May 1870, the move to Milwaukee was announced: they would operate in the old Matthew Bros. Furniture warehouse, at Fourth and Fowler. Both the Marshalls and Phillip Odenbrett moved to Milwaukee but went their separate ways: The firm was re-established as Marshall Brothers, while Odenbrett formed a new partnership with Frank Abler of Milwaukee.

    Source:

    • Richard Weber, "Sketches of Milwaukee Organbuilders, 1847-1902", The Tracker 34:1 (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1990), 18.

    See the complete article by Richard Weber for a more complete history of the Marshall Brothers, John L. Lancashire, Phillip Odenbrett, and Clinton Brooks. Available online at the Organ Historical Society website (https://organhistoricalsociety.org/) under Publications/The Tracker.

Database Entries

There are no entries in the database that describe organs by Marshall & Odenbrett.


We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.

Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.


 

OHS Logo

This page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.

Some of our entries are names that might never appear on a nameplate or nameboard.
On the other hand, there are both individuals and firms who are responsible for conserving historic organs through location, or preserving the usefulness of pipe organs through rebuilding or making modifications to existing instruments. In these cases, we are proud to acknowledge their contributions to the ongoing artistic tradition of the pipe organ in America through individual entries in our online database.