St. Louis, Missouri, by 1848–1864.
- Note from the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1991, rev. ed. 1997, with updated information). —
Born February 6, 1818 in Strasfürth bei Erfurt, Saxony, Germany;
in St. Louis, Missouri, by 1845; retired to Collionsville,
Illinois, c. 1865; succeeded by Johann G. Pfeffer, 1864; died
April 17, 1896 in Collinsville, Illinois.
Staff: Christof Metz; Ferdinand Metz.
- Local business directories of the period.
- Edwardsville, Illinois, Intelligencer April 21, 1896.
- Orpha Ochse, The History of the Organ in the United States (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1975), 187.
- Organ Handbook (Organ Historical Society, 1986), 19.
- Elizabeth Towne Schmitt.
There are 4 entries in the database that describe organs by Wilhelm [William] Metz.
We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting
any errors that our Database may contain.
If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here,
please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.
Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.
This page was opened in a secondary window or tab.
To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.
At present we have no photographs that should be displayed on this page, though we may well have photographs under a related entry with a different form of the name.
We would very much like to have photographs of all builders, nameplates, and other appropriate images in our database.
If you can assist us with this project, please send a message to
Our photo editor will be happy to assist you.