The OHS Pipe Organ Database

BuilderID 7262

Builder Identification

Boston, Massachusetts, ca. 1881; Kendall Green, Massachusetts, 1889-1935.

Additional Notes

  • Note from the Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, May 27, 2017. -

    The original firm was established by Elias and George G. Hook in Salem, Massachusetts, 1827 as E. & G. G. Hook; they relocated to Boston, Massachusetts, 1831. The firm became E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings in 1872 as Elias Hook and George G. Hook took Frank Hastings as a full partner; after the Hook brothers retired, the firm was headed by Hastings. In 1881, Hastings shortened the name to Hook & Hastings. Hastings relocated to Kendal Green, Massachusetts, in 1889; where he built not only a new factory, but housing for his workers in a bid to create a utopian community. The firm was incorporated in 1895; it closed in 1935 and the assets were liquidated in 1936.

    Source:

    • Organ Handbook: 1986 (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1986), 15.
    • Scott Huntington.
    •  

  • For further information see E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings

     

  • / / / / Archived Note / / / /

    The following note is from a previous version of this entry; it has been superseded by the note above, which contains new information or corrects errors or inaccuracies.

    Begin archived note
    From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va., Organ Historical Society, 1991). -

    Succeeded E. & G. G. Hook; established by Elias Hook, George G. Hook and Frank Hastings in Boston, MA, 1872; firm headed by Hastings after 1881 as Hook & Hastings; relocated to Kendal Green, MA, 1889; incorporated, 1895; liquidated, 1936.

    Source:

    • Organ Handbook: 1986 (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1986), 15.
    •  

Database Entries

There are 1654 entries in the database that describe organs by Hook & Hastings.


We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.

Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.


 

OHS Logo

This page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.


Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Rebuilder's Nameplate. Photograph by Jesse

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Velda Bell

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Chad Boorsma

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Sarah Johnson

Key desk, Hook and Hastings nameplate. Photograph by Tim Pettay

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Patti Whaley

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph courtesy of William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Nameplate. Photograph by Jim Cook

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Dr. Stuart P. Brian

Manuals and Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt