The OHS Pipe Organ Database

BuilderID 7277

Builder Identification

Operated by E. M. Skinner, 1919-1932

Additional Notes

  • From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North America Organ Builders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1991). --

    Ernest Skinner went through a succession of name plates, after his short-lived partnership with James Cole, his solo nameplate read E. M. Skinner (1904-1919). With the financial backing of Hudson Marks, the firm was incorporated as Skinner Organ Co., in 1919. This arrangement allowed growth with factories in Boston and Westfield, MA, by 1927. The Skinner firm acquired the Steere Organ Company (successor to J.W. Steere & Sons) of Springfield, MA, in 1921. Skinner Organ Co. merged with the Aeolian pipe organ division of Garwood, NJ, in 1932, the merged corporation was titled Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co. (1932-1971)

    Ernest Skinner acquired the Emmons Howard firm of Springfield, MA, and the Methuen Organ Co. of Methuen, MA, 1929 privately, not as part of the corporation. They latter would become the location of Ernest M. Skinner & Son, which Skinner established after leaving the firm he had founded and which still bore his name.

  • From Jonathan Ambrosino, "Ernest M. Skinner," The Organ: An Encyclopedia edited by Douglas Bush and Richard Kassels (Psychology Press, 2006) p. 519 --

    In 1919, the Ernest M. Skinner & Company was reorganized with Arthur H. Marks (former General Manager and Vice-President of the Goodrich Rubber Company) as the President and Skinner as Vice-President of the newly organized Skinner Organ Company. This allowed Skinner to focus on the technical and artistic aspects of the dozens of projects in which the company was involved at any one time, while others would manage the commercial aspects of the company.

  • For further information, see Ernest M. Skinner and Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co.

Database Entries

There are 615 entries in the database that describe organs by Skinner Organ Co.


We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.

Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.


 

OHS Logo

This page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.


Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Manuals and Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by William T. Van Pelt

Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Bruce Schutrum

Manuals and Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Marilyn W. Peterson

Nameplate. Photograph by Chad Boorsma

Dedication Plaque and Builder's Nameplate. Photograph by Sue Ellen Adams