The OHS Pipe Organ Database

Oak Cliff Methodist Episcopal Church, South / St. Mark's Methodist Episcopal Church, South
549 E. Jefferson Blvd.
Dallas, Texas 75203

Church

OHS Database ID 17667.

See the address on Google Maps.


Status and Condition

This organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition July 17, 2015.


Technical Details

Slider chests with EP pull-downs (externally mounted).

Three manuals. 4 divisions. 49 stops. 34 registers. 32 ranks. Manual compass is 61 notes. Pedal compass is 32 notes.

The organ is in center chambers at the front of the room with visible façade pipes or case front. Traditional style console with roll top. The console is in a fixed position, center.

Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs. Balanced swell shoes/pedals. Adjustable combination pistons. AGO Standard (concave radiating) pedalboard. Reversible full organ/tutti thumb piston. Reversible full organ/tutti toe stud. Combination action thumb pistons.

Notes

  • Identified through information in Vol IV p. 5 of the Pilcher factory ledgers and a list of Pilcher organs typed by William E. Pilcher of Louisville. For more information see the document referenced below. (Elizabeth Schmitt. April 7, 2005)
  • Original price: $3000; William Pilcher's list says 1906. (Elizabeth Schmitt. April 7, 2005)
  • Updated through online information from mark howell. -- Organ still has 12 of its original ranks (Database Manager. October 16, 2007)
  • Updated through online information from mark howell. (Database Manager. October 19, 2007)
  • Updated through online information from T. Bradford Willis, DDS. (Database Manager. January 3, 2011)
  • Updated through online information from T. Bradford Willis, DDS. (Database Manager. January 4, 2011)
  • Updated through online information from T. Bradford Willis. -- The congregation of the Oak Cliff United Methodist Church held its last service of worship on Sunday, June 28, 2015. It has been reported that the remaining congregants plan to unite with the Tyler Street Methodist Church after the closing of the Oak Cliff Church. (Database Manager. July 4, 2015)
  • Updated through online information from T. Bradford Willis. -- The text of its Official Texas Historical Marker is: Oak Cliff United Methodist Church - This congregation was formed in 1887 when the Shelton and Oliver families began meeting with circuit rider C. G. Shutt in the Shelton home under the name St. Mark's Methodist Church. The Olivers began Sunday School meetings in 1888. The first Methodist church building on this site, largely funded by the efforts of church women, was erected in 1894 and dedicated in 1901. In 1903, when Oak Cliff was annexed to the city of Dallas, the church had 317 members; by 1911 there were 856 congregants. The architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats, designers of the 1903 Wilson Building in Dallas, the 1907 Flatiron Building in Fort Worth and the 1910 Scarborough Building in Austin, drew up plans for the Oak Cliff Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The ambitious project was delayed for a time because of a lack of funds, but was resumed in 1915 and completed that year. The first wedding was performed in the building in January 1916. The edifice was dedicated in 1926 after the debt had been retired. By that time the membership was 1,649 and an educational building was erected. The church complex has been enlarged and renovated as needed. Though the sanctuary was damaged by fire in 1958, it was soon restored and back in use. The Oak Cliff United Methodist church building consists of two stories and a full basement. The brick-clad edifice, designed on a cruciform plan, features a front facade dominated by a full height pedimented entry portico supported on cast concrete Tuscan columns. Other classical revival details, including cast stone coping, decorative brick frieze and Palladian doors, make this structure distinctive. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999 (Database Manager. July 17, 2015)

Online Documents

Clicking on a link will open the document in a new window or tab. Documents may include drawings, contacts, correspondence, newspaper articles, or any other printed, hand-written, or digital-format material that is not either a photograph or a stoplist.

  • Pilcher Organs. Summary of Pilcher Sources by Soosie Schmitt. Author: Author not identified Source: Unpublished monograph. Document Date. April 5, 2005.

If you can provide us with additional documents, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.

Other Websites

  • OCUMC Music. Photograph, description.[Last accessed 0000-00-00.]

Clicking on a link will open the website in a new window or tab.
Please note that we are not responsible for dead links.

Photographs

Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.


Church Exterior. Photograph by T. Bradford Willis 2015-06-28
Stained Glass Window. Photograph by T. Bradford Willis 2015-06-28
Stained Glass Window. Photograph by T. Bradford Willis 2015-06-28
Pipe Facade. Photograph by T. Bradford Willis 2015-06-28

If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.

 

Stoplist

We would very much like to have a stoplist of this organ to display on this page. If you have the information to provide one, please use one of these links to send it to us: