OHS Database ID 18188.
The organ has been altered from the original installation as described here.
The organ needs repairs, but is in usable condition.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition October 12, 2016.
Electro-pneumatic (EP) ventil chests.
Three manuals. 4 divisions. 28 stops. 30 registers. 28 ranks. 1572 pipes. Manual compass is 61 notes. Pedal compass is 32 notes.
The organ is in center chambers at the front of the room with visible façade pipes or case front. Traditional style console with roll top. The console is in a fixed position, right.
Stop keys above top manual. Balanced swell shoes/pedals, standard AGO placement. Adjustable combination pistons. AGO Standard (concave radiating) pedalboard. Reversible full organ/tutti thumb piston. Reversible full organ/tutti toe stud. Combination action thumb pistons. Coupler reversible thumb pistons. Coupler reversible toe studs.
Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.
If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.
The database contains no links to external websites that describe this organ. If you know of any sites that contain information about it, please use the Update form to send us the URL.
Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.
|Model of console; Church archives. Photograph by James R. Stettner 2007-05-05|
|Organ and chancel. Photograph by James R. Stettner 2007-05-05|
|Console. Photograph by James R. Stettner 1992-12-03|
If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.
When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to email@example.com rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.
Spokane, WA Central United Methodist Church W.W. KIMBALL CO., Op ____, c. 1905 Geo. W. Graham, 1950's - Electrification GREAT SWELL (Expressive) 16 Double Open Diapason 61 16 Bourdon 61 8 Open Diapason 61 8 Violin Diapason 61 8 Doppel Flute 61 8 Stopped Diapason 61 8 Gamba 61 8 Salicional 61 8 Dulciana 61 8 Vox Celeste (tc) 49 4 Principal 61 8 Aeoline 61 2 Fifteenth 61 4 Flute Traverso 61 8 Orch. Trumpet 61 8 Cornopean 61 8 Oboe 61 Great Unison Off 8 Vox Humana 61 Great to Great 4' blank Tremolo Swell to Swell 16' Choir (Expressive) Swell Unison Off 8 Open Diapason 61 Swell to Swell 4' 8 Melodia 61 8 Dulciana 61 4 Flute d'Amour 61 2 Piccolo 61 PEDAL 8 Clarinet 61 16 Open Diapason [wood] 30 Tremolo 16 Violone 30 Chimes (Maas; tf-c3) (32) 16 Bourdon 30 8 Flute 30 Choir Unison Off Choir to Choir 4' FINGER PISTONS General 1 – 4 COUPLERS Swell 1 - 4 Swell to Great 8,4 Sw. to Ped. (rev) Great to Pedal 8,4 Great 1 – 4 Choir to Pedal 8,4 Gt. to Ped. (rev) Choir 1 – 4 Swell to Great 16,8,4 Ch. to Ped. (rev) Choir to Great 8,4 Sforz. (rev) G.C. Swell to Choir 8,4 PEDAL MOVEMENTS TOE STUDS Swell Expression (bal.) Gr. - Ped. Rev. (rev) Choir Expression (bal.) Sforz. Rev. (rev) Crescendo (bal.) ACTION: E-P primary VOICES: 28 STOPS: 29 RANKS: 28 PIPES: 1,572 (inc. chimes) NOTES Central United Methodist Church has its beginnings in First Methodist Episcopal Church who built their first building on the SW corner of Sprague and Washington in 1881. Circa 1887, a new brick church was built at the same site. In 18__, the present site at the NE corner of Third and Howard was purchased, and a temporary tabernacle was erected on the site at which time the brick church on Sprague and Washington was sold for $35,000.00. In 1894, the quarterly conference voted 18 to 6 to build a new edifice at Third and Howard to replace the tabernacle. This was known as the "Little White Church". It housed a II-manual, 38-register Hook & Hastings tracker action instrument built in 1902 as that firm's opus 1944. Both church and organ were destroyed by fire at 2:00 a.m. on April 16, 1905. In the interim after the fire, Sunday school was held at Central Christian Church. Worship was conducted at the Spokane Theatre located at First and Post. 99 people were so upset by the decision to build the new church that they left First Methodist Episcopal in 1895 to form Vincent Methodist Episcopal. They first met at Simons Hall on the corner of Sprague and Howard. Next they erected a small church on the SW corner of First and Wall. Finally, they erected a brick church at Main and Lincoln. This was the first Spokane church to have a pipe organ. It was a large 2-manual instrument installed in 1901. A quarterly conference was called after the April 16 fire, and a unanimous vote was reached to build a new church on the same location - to cost +/- $50,000.00. This is the present edifice. The cornerstone was laid in 1905. By the fall of 1906, the basement was being used for some activities and worship. On May 26, 1907, the new sanctuary was used for the first time. The origins of the Kimball organ have been a bit obscure and uncertain until now. According to a pipe organ compilation authored in the 1960's by Balcom and Vaughan tonal director Eugene M. Nye, the Kimball now at Central United Methodist was originally built for Vincent M.E. Church. However, Vincent did not merge with First M.E. to form Central Methodist until 1918, 23 years after the split. Photographs in Central United Methodist's archives show the present organ in 1910, so it must have originally been built for the 1906 building. Further research has also revealed that the Vincent M.E. Church Kimball was relocated to the Methodist Church in Ellensburg, WA. The organ as originally built had an detached, drawknob console below the elevated organ and on the main floor in front of the podium. The action was tubular-pneumatic to ventil chests. In the 1950's, the primaries were electrified and a new Klann tilting tablet console was provided to replace the original. This was done by George A. Graham of Spokane. There are presently 37 pipes in the façade of which 12 are from the Great 8' Open Diapason. The impost is drilled for two more corner pipes, but the slope of the arch evidently did not permit their installation. The Choir 4' Flute d'Amour had its stoppers releathered in the 1990's by Meadway & Stettner of Monroe, Washington. Sources: Church history and photos; JRS; extant, electrified (but tonally unaltered) organ. Central United Methodist W. 518 Third Ave. Spokane, WA. 99204 Documented: December 3, 1992 (509) 838-1431 Verified & updated: June 27, 1997