The OHS Pipe Organ Database

St. Matthew Episcopal Church
123 L. St. NE
Auburn, Washington 98002

OHS Database ID 3157.

See the address on Google Maps.


Status and Condition

The organ has been relocated and is no longer at this location.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition August 28, 2014.


Technical Details

Slider chests. Mechanical key action. Mechanical stop action.

One manual. 2 divisions. 8 stops. 9 registers. 8 ranks. 371 pipes. Manual compass is 54 notes. Pedal compass is 27 notes.

The organ is in a case at the front of the room. Traditional style console. There is an attached keydesk en fenêtre.

Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs. Balanced swell shoes/pedals. No combination action. Flat straight pedalboard.

Notes

  • The original builder was Alvinza Andrews (1851). (OHS PC Database. October 30, 2004)
  • Status Note: There 1991. (OHS PC Database. October 30, 2004)
  • From Masonic Memple, Newark, NY; via [what location?] Rochester, NY through OCH c. 1975. The ca.1855 Andrews was installed by R[andy]. and Fr. Skanse, with some help as noted in the 1982 book, with absolutely _no_ restorative repairs, not even replacements to the 1855 pedal trackers, which I've been tryin' to patch without crawlin' under ever since. The pipework especially needs serious work; almost everything speaks, but the feet of these very soft pipes have a way of crumbling ... Offered through OCH c. 1998. (OHS PC Database. October 30, 2004)
  • Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- ORIGINALLY BUILT BY A. ANDREWS & SON (1855) The organ was originally built for Calvary Episcopal in Utica, New York. Rebuilt by C.E. Morey as his Opus 206 in 1903 for the Masonic Hall in Newark, New Jersey. Rebuild included a new case above the impost of 19 half-round dummies in 3 sections arranged: 5-9-5; a new keyboard in the original frame, and brought forward - which resulted in the removal of the original sliding doors which had enclosed the manual. Also new was the key action, and a new pedal board with expansion from 12-pipes/notes to 27-pipes/notes. The swell shutters were not installed at the St. Matthew location, nor was the 1903 tremolo installed. The organ was taken back in trade by the Organ Clearing House when the 1871 E. & G.G. Hook & Hastings was installed in 1999. (Database Manager. May 10, 2007)
  • Updated through online information from Scot Huntington. -- Subsequent to its removal from Auburn ca. 1999, the metal pipes were separated from the instrument and recycled by David Wallace & Co. into a tracker house organ built for the late Mary Ann Dodd of Sherburne, New York. The case, wood pipes, and chassis was recycled with new metal pipes and stoplist, by Jeremy Cooper for the chapel of the South Kent School, South Kent Connecticut. (Database Manager. August 28, 2014)
  • Updated through online information from Scot Huntington. (Database Manager. August 28, 2014)
  • Updated through online information from Scot Huntington. (Database Manager. August 28, 2014)

Online Documents

Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.

If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.

Bibliography

  • Meers, Roger. "St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, Auburn," 2008 Organ Atlas: Seattle (pp. 80-81). [Stoplists]

Related Database Entries

As a matter of best practice, we maintain separate entries each time an organ is modified or relocated. Click a link to go to descriptions of other phases in this instrument's life.

Other Websites

The database contains no links to external websites that describe this organ. If you know of any sites that contain information about it, please use the Update form to send us the URL.

Photographs

Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.


Organ in front of sanctuary. Photograph from the 1982 OHS Convention Handbook, pg. 43.
Builder's nameplate. Photograph from the 1982 OHS Convention Handbook, pg. 42.

If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.

 

Stoplist

When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to stoplists@pipeorgandatabase.org rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.

  • Stoplist copied from the console May 9, 1991
    Auburn, Washington
    St. Matthew Episcopal Church
    
    A. ANDREWS & SON, 1853
    C.E. Morey, opus 206, 1903 - Rebuild
    Randall J. McCarty, ca. 1975 - Installation with new upper casework
    
    
    MANUAL                                       COUPLERS (Drawknob)
       8  Open Diapason                 54          Pedal Coupler        (Man. To Ped.)
       8  Keraulophone  [sic]     (tf)  37
       8  Dulciana                (tf)  37
       8  Stop'd Diapason Treble  (tf)  37       MISC. CONTROLS
       8  Stop'd Diapason Bass          17          Bellows Signal
       4  Principal                     54
       3  Twelfth                       54
       2  Fifteenth                     54       ACTION: Mechanical key & stop
    
                                                 VOICES: 8         STOPS: 8
    PEDAL
       16 Sub Bass                      27       RANKS: 8          PIPES: 371
    
    
    NOTES
    The Andrews was originally built for Calvary Episcopal Church in Utica, NY.  It was rebuilt by
    C.E. Morey of Utica in 1903 for the Masonic Hall in Newark, NJ.  The rebuild included a new case
    front above the impost of half-round dummies in an arch; a new keyboard in the original frame and
    brought forward (which resulted in the removal of the original sliding doors); a new coupler action;
    a new pedal clavier; and expansion of the pedal compass from 12 notes/pipes to 27 notes/pipes.
    
    In 1975, the Masonic Hall was slated for demolition. The organ was removed by Alan Laufman, Jack
    Morse, and Martin Walsh, and stored in Mr. Morse's barn in Webster, NY.
    
    Subsequently offered for resale, the organ was obtained by St. Matthew Church, and was set-up by
    Randall J. McCarty assisted by Leon Stevenson and other parishioners. Mr. McCarty designed and Mr.
    Stevenson built new casework in the old style for the Auburn installation.
    
    The original instrument was enclosed in a swellbox with shutters operated by a hitch-down pedal. 
    The present box dates from 1903, and has a balanced swell system, although the shutters are currently
    not in place.  The 1903 tremolo was also not re-installed.
    
    The 8' Open Diapason has 11 open wood basses, some of which are offset at the sides. The 8' Stop'd 
    Diapason Treble is a metal chimney flute from c 25 with 7 stopped wood basses and 4 open metal trebles.
    The 8' Keraulophone has narrow slots with a small hole at the top. Some evidence suggested that a small
    scale reed stop may have originally occupied the space where the Keraulophone now resides.
    
    Sources: 1982 OHS Convention Handbook; extant organ
    
     [Received from James R. Stettner 2012-04-06.]
  • Click Here Stoplist copied from the console May 9, 1991 Plain text; will open in a new window or tab.