The OHS Pipe Organ Database

St. John's Episcopal
105 State Street S.
Kirkland, Washington 98033

OHS Database ID 4658.

See the address on Google Maps.

Awards

OHS Convention Organ, 2008.


Status and Condition

The organ has been altered from the original installation as described here.
The condition of the organ is in not known or has not been reported to the Database.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition December 30, 2005.
If you can assist us with information concerning the current condition of this organ, please use the form accessible through the "Update" button.


Technical Details

Slider chests. Mechanical key action. Mechanical stop action.

Two manuals. 3 divisions. 17 stops. 17 registers. 19 ranks. 1067 pipes.

The organ is in a gallery-level case at the rear of the room. Traditional style console with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack. The organ has an attached keydesk.

Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs. Balanced swell shoes/pedals. Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system. Flat straight pedalboard. Hitchdown couplers.

Notes

  • The original builder was Cole & Woodberry (1892). (OHS PC Database. October 30, 2004)
  • Status Note: There 1991 (OHS PC Database. October 30, 2004)
  • OCH from Highland Congregational, Lowell, MA in 1974. (OHS PC Database. October 30, 2004)
  • Updated through on-line information from James R. Stettner. -- The original facade had to be modified to fit the St. John's scheme. In 1979, the Bond firm of Portland, Oregon. made some tonal changes to the organ using the existing pipework with some new pipes added. (Database Manager. December 30, 2005)

Online Documents

Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.

If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.

Bibliography

  • [Composite: several authors]. "St. John's Episcopal Church, Kirkland," 2008 Organ Atlas: Seattle (pp. 86-95). [Contributions by Tom Foster, Stephen Pinel] [Stoplist]

Related Database Entries

As a matter of best practice, we maintain separate entries each time an organ is modified or relocated. Click a link to go to descriptions of other phases in this instrument's life.

Other Websites

The database contains no links to external websites that describe this organ. If you know of any sites that contain information about it, please use the Update form to send us the URL.

Photographs

Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.


Organ gallery. Photograph by Jim Cook 2008-07-15
Left stop jamb. Photograph by Jim Cook 2008-07-15
Right stop jamb. Photograph by Jim Cook 2008-07-15
"Pedalboard, composition pedals, swell shoe". Photograph by Jim Cook 2008-07-15
Great pipework. Photograph by Michael A. Way 2015-05-29
Swell pipework. Photograph by Michael A. Way 2015-05-29

If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.

 

Stoplist

When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to stoplists@pipeorgandatabase.org rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.

  • Stoplist copied from the console November 2015
    Kirkland, Washington
    St. John's Episcopal Church
    
    COLE & WOODBERRY, 1892
    Robert J. Reich, 1958 - Tonal Changes
    Olympic Organ Builders, 1974 - Re-installation
    Richard L. Bond, 1979 - Refurbishing and Tonal Revisions
    
    
    GREAT                                        COUPLERS
       8     Principal Diapason         61          Swell to Peds.  [mech. finger piston]
       8     Viola Dolce                61          Great to Peds.  [mech. finger piston]
       8     Flautileno                 61
       4     Octava Acuta               61          Swell to Great  [mech. finger piston]
       4     Flauto Soave               61
       2-2/3 Quinta Octava      [prep]  --          Sw. Sub 8ve to Gt.       [hitch-down]
       2     Octavino           [prep]  --          Sw. 8ve's to Gt.         [hitch-down]
       III   Ripieno   [15-19-22]      183
    
                                                 FINGER PISTONS (Mechanical)
    SWELL (Expressive)                              Swell to Peds.                 On/Off
       16    Contra Viola         (tc)  49          Great to Peds.                 On/Off
       8     Viola Principale           56          Swell to Great                 On/Off
       8     Doppel Flöte               61          Swell Tremolo                  On/Off
       8     Dolciano                   61
       4     Octava Clara               61
       4     Hohlpfeife                 61       FOOT LEVERS (Labeled; l - r)
       2     Quincena                   61          Gt P.P. - 8' Flaut., 4' Oct. Acuta
       1-1/3 Nonodecima                 61
       8     Corno di Cappella          61          Gt F.F. - 8' P.D., 8' Fl., 4' O.A, III
    
                                                    Sw. Sub to GT.                  (h-d)   
    PEDAL                                           Sw. 8ve's to GT.                (h-d)
       16   Bordone Principale          27
       16   Lieblich Gedeckt            27          Sw. P. - 8' V.P., 4' O.C., 2' Quincena
       8    Flauto Basso                --                   
                                                    Sw. F. - 8' V.P., 4' O.C., 2, 1-1/3,
                                                             8' Corno; Ped. 16' Lieb. Ged.
                                                 
    
                                                 PEDAL MOVEMENTS
                                                    Swell Expression               (bal.)
    
    
    ACTION: Mech Key & Stop     VOICES: 17     STOPS: 17     RANKS: 19     PIPES: 1,067
    
    
    NOTES
    The organ was given to the church as a memorial to Lucretia Buttrick (1801-1892) by her son
    James G. Buttrick. It was originally hand-pumped until a Meidinger blower was installed.
    
    In 1958, then organist Robert J. Reich of the Andover Organ Co. made several tonal changes.
    The Great 8' Flauto Concerto was removed in favor of a III Ripieno. The 8' Flautileno which
    had always shared the bass of the Flauto Concerto received the bass pipes. On the Swell, the
    8' Viola Ætheria was cut-down at-scale, and revoiced to become a 4' Octava Clara. Also cut-
    down at-scale were the 4' Salicetto Dolce which became a 2' Quincena; and the 2' Violettino
    became a 1-1/3' Nondecima.
    
    In 1969, the property had been acquired by the Montefiore Synagogue. But it was a short-lived
    ownership. In 1970, the building was razed for freeway construction. The Cole and Woodberry
    was purchased by organ buff James Merriman. He photographed it in the church and recorded its
    sound before its removal, and then it was placed in storage with the Andover Organ Co. in
    Methuen, Massachusetts.
    
    In 1973, St. John's Episcopal in Kirkland, WA. Began its first Project Reaffirmation Capital
    Fund Drive. One part of this was the desire to acquire a better organ, though a pipe organ was
    not conceived to be an affordable part of the budget. But through the Organ Clearing House,
    the church learned of the Cole & Woodberry, and was put in contact with James Merriman, who
    sold the organ for $2,500.00. The Vestry agreed to the purchase in January, 1974. Shipping
    costs were $3,200.00, and reinstallation was another $2,800.00 for a total of $8,500.00. Julia
    Kissell of Seattle who was a member of the Organ Historical Society and friends with the Hayman
    family was instrumental in helping to locate the organ.
    
    The organ's 10,000 lbs. of pipes and parts arrived on Maundy Thursday, and it was distributed
    in the undercroft for sorting and staging. Glenn D. White of Olympic Organ Builders in Seattle
    supervised reconstruction assisted by many volunteers over a 5 month period. Large components
    like the windchests were hoisted into the loft by crane through a removed window. On September
    29, 1974 – the organ was dedicated in concert by Swiss organist Guy Bovet.
    
    In 1979, Richard L. Bond of Portland, Oregon was retained to do some refurbishing of the organ
    which had been installed “as is.” While the tonal concept of the organ was retained, some
    pipes were replaced. Others were added to complete existing ranks. Slide tuners were added.
    The Swell Tremolo was repaired. Pallets were re-covered. The couplers were repaired. And the
    organ was tonally refinished and tuned.
    
    After completion of the work, another dedicatory recital was given. Scott Shaw, a senior organ
    performance major at the University of Washington and organist of St. Paul's Episcopal in
    Seattle was the guest recitalist.
    
    Sources: 1980 OHS Convention Handbook; phone conversation with Robert J. Reich; church records;
             JRS; extant organ.
    
    
     [Received from james R. Stettner 2015-12-08.]
  • Click Here Stoplist copied from the console November 2015 Plain text; will open in a new window or tab.