The OHS Pipe Organ Database

St. John in the Wilderness Episcopal Cathedral
1350 Washington Street
Denver, Colorado 80203

OHS Database ID 48113.

See the address on Google Maps.


Status and Condition

The organ has been relocated and is no longer at this location.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition July 23, 2017.


Technical Details

Slider chests. Mechanical key action. Mechanical stop action.

Two manuals. 3 divisions. 14 stops. 17 registers. 15 ranks. 772 pipes. Manual compass is 58 notes. Pedal compass is 27 notes.

The organ is in a floor-level case at the rear of the room.

Coupler reversible toe studs.

Notes

  • Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- Information for this entry is taken from the Cathedral website and from photos submitted by Bryan Dunnewald for the OHS Database. This organ is installed as a temporary instrument while the Cathedral's Kimball is being restored. The organ was relocated through the Organ Clearing House. (Database Manager. June 23, 2011)
  • Updated through online information from John Seboldt. (Database Manager. July 28, 2012)
  • Updated by Jim Thompson, listing this website as a source of information: http://www.holycomforterchurch.net/music/.

    In January 2016 this organ was moved to Holy Comforter Episcopal Church in Broomfield, Colorado (between Denver and Boulder) where it is an integral part of the Music Ministry. Jim Steinborn (apprenticed with Visser-Rowland) of Steinborn Organs, Fort Collins, performed the move and repairs/restorations as necessary. http://www.holycomforterchurch.net/music/ (Steven E. Lawson. July 23, 2017)

Online Documents

Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.

If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.

Related Database Entries

As a matter of best practice, we maintain separate entries each time an organ is modified or relocated. Click a link to go to descriptions of other phases in this instrument's life.

Other Websites

Clicking on a link will open the website in a new window or tab.
Please note that we are not responsible for dead links.

Photographs

Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.


Organ Case. Photograph by John Seboldt 2012-07-22
Organ case. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Organ case and facade pipes. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Facade pipe details. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Keydesk from right. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Keydesk from left. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Left stopjamb. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Right stopjamb. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18
Builder's nameplate. Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald 2011-06-18

If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.

 

Stoplist

When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to stoplists@pipeorgandatabase.org rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.

  • Typed stoplist from James R. Stettner. Source: Stoplist copied from Andover Organ Co. files and later verified against photos of the drawknobs
    Denver, Colorado
    Episcopal Cathedral of St. John in the Wilderness
    
    E. & G.G. HOOK, Opus 476, 1869
    Andover Organ Co., 1960's - Tonal Changes
    Susan Tattershall, 1990 - Restoration
    
    
    GREAT                                        COUPLERS (Drawknob)
       16 ft. Bourdon             (tc)  46          Swell to Pedal
       8 ft.  Open Diapᶯ                58          Great to Pedal
       8 ft.  Gamba               (tc)  46
       8 ft.  Melodia             (tc)  46          Swell to Great
       8 ft.  Stᵈ Diapᶯ Bass            12
       4 ft.  Octave                    58
       2 ft.  Fifteenth                 58       FOOT TRUNDLES (L - R)
       2 Rank Mixture                  116          Swell Forte -
    
                                                    Swell Piano -
    SWELL (Expressive)
       Sw. 8 ft. Keraulophon      (tc)  46          Great Piano -
       Sw. 8 ft. Stᵈ Diapᵑ Treble (tc)  46
       Sw. 8 ft. Stᵈ Diapᵑ Bass         12          Great Forte -
       Sw. 4 ft. Flute Harmonique       58
       Sw. 4 ft. Violina                58
       Sw. 8 ft. Oboe             (tc)  46       PEDAL MOVEMENTS
       Sw. 8 ft. Bassoon                12          Swell Expression              (h-d)
       Sw.       Tremulant
    
                                                 MISC. CONTROLS
    PEDAL                                           Bellows Signal
       Ped. 16 ft. Sub Bass             27
       Ped. 8 ft.  Flote                27
    
    
    ACTION: Mech. Key & Stop     VOICES: 14     STOPS: 17     RANKS: 15     PIPES: 772
    
    
    NOTES
    The building in which this organ was originally installed was First Methodist Episcopal
    Church – also known as Haverhill Street Methodist Church. The organ was originally in-
    stalled in the rear gallery. It was relocated to the front ca. 1880. The building was
    sold to the Presbyterian congregation in 1912.
    
    The organ is free-standing and encased with an attached, projecting keydesk having a
    lid which lifts to form a music rack. Stops are as drawknobs in terraced jambs on either
    side of the keydesk. The façade of ornately stenciled pipes contains 33 pipes arranged:
    5-9-5-9-5. The swellbox is visible above the central facade and is architectural,
    decorated, and intended to be seen.
    
    Reportedly, in 1912 the Pedal was converted to a tubular pneumatic action by an un-
    identified individual or firm. However, Robert J. Reich of the Andover Organ Co. and
    also former organist of this church reports the Pedal action conversion date as ca.
    1922. At some point (1912? 1922?) the hitch-down Swell shade action was converted to
    a balanced Swell-shoe action, with vertical, rather than horizontal shutters. At that
    time as well, fixed combination pedals were added.
    
    In the 1960's, the Andover Organ Co. made tonal renovations. At that time, a 2' re-
    placed the Violina, and a Chimney Flute replaced the Keraulophon in the Swell. Also
    a "Flute d'Amour" was added to the Great, placed where the Bourdon 16' had been, and
    the Bourdon was put on a jump slide and tubed off the chest.
    
    The building was later sold to the Iglesia de Dios Pentacostal – aka Ebeneezer Spanish
    Evangelical. The organ was unused and ultimately made available for purchase.
    
    It was restored for Saint John's Episcopal Cathedral in Denver, Colorado by Susan
    Tattershall and installed there in the summer of 2009  as a temporary organ while 
    their Kimball was under-going restoration. The Hook was installed at the back of
    the sanctuary of the right side of the center aisle (when facing rear). When the
    Kimball returned home, the organ was sold.
    
    It was relocated to and installed in Holy Comforter Episcopal Church in Broomfield,
    Colorado by Jim Steinborn in 2016.
    
    
    Sources: Hook opus list; Andover Organ Co. files; Robert J. Reich; OHS Database;
                             extant, restored organ.
    
    
    Episcopal Cathedral of St. John in the Wilderness
    1350 N. Washington St.
    Denver, CO. 80203
  • Click Here Typed stoplist from James R. Stettner. Source: Stoplist copied from Andover Organ Co. files and later verified against photos of the drawknobs Plain text; will open in a new window or tab.