Lawrence, Massachusetts First M.E. Church / First United Presbyterian Church E. & G.G. HOOK, Opus 476, 1869 - Original Specifications GREAT COUPLERS (Drawknob) 16 ft. Bourdon (tc) 46 Swell to Pedal 8 ft. Open Diapᶯ 58 Great to Pedal 8 ft. Gamba (tc) 46 8 ft. Melodia (tc) 46 Swell to Great 8 ft. Stᵈ Diapᶯ Bass 12 4 ft. Octave 58 2 ft. Fifteenth 58 FOOT TRUNDLES (L - R) 2 Rank Mixture 116 Swell Forte - Swell Piano - SWELL (Expressive) Sw. 8 ft. Keraulophon (tc) 46 Great Piano - Sw. 8 ft. Stᵈ Diapᵑ Treble (tc) 46 Sw. 8 ft. Stᵈ Diapᵑ Bass 12 Great Forte - Sw. 4 ft. Flute Harmonique 58 Sw. 4 ft. Violina 58 Sw. 8 ft. Oboe (tc) 46 PEDAL MOVEMENTS Sw. 8 ft. Bassoon 12 Swell Expression (h-d) Sw. Tremulant PEDAL Ped. 16 ft. Sub Bass 27 Ped. 8 ft. Flote 27 Bellows Signal ACTION: Mech. Key & Stop VOICES: 14 STOPS: 17 RANKS: 15 PIPES: 772 NOTES The building in which this organ was originally installed was First Methodist Episcopal Church – also known as Haverhill Street Methodist Church. The organ was originally in- stalled in the rear gallery. It was relocated to the front ca. 1880. The building was sold to the Presbyterian congregation in 1912. The organ is free-standing and encased with an attached, projecting keydesk having a lid which lifts to form a music rack. Stops are as drawknobs in terraced jambs on either side of the keydesk. The façade of ornately stenciled pipes contains 33 pipes arranged: 5-9-5-9-5. The swellbox is visible above the central facade and is architectural, decorated, and intended to be seen. Reportedly, in 1912 the Pedal was converted to a tubular pneumatic action by an un- identified individual or firm. However, Robert J. Reich of the Andover Organ Co. and also former organist of this church reports the Pedal action conversion date as ca. 1922. At some point (1912? 1922?) the hitch-down Swell shade action was converted to a balanced Swell-shoe action, with vertical, rather than horizontal shutters. At that time as well, fixed combination pedals were added. In the 1960's, the Andover Organ Co. made tonal renovations. At that time, a 2' re- placed the Violina, and a Chimney Flute replaced the Keraulophon in the Swell. Also a "Flute d'Amour" was added to the Great, placed where the Bourdon 16' had been, and the Bourdon was put on a jump slide and tubed off the chest. The building was later sold to the Iglesia de Dios Pentacostal – aka Ebeneezer Spanish Evangelical. The organ was unused and ultimately made available for purchase. It was restored for Saint John's Episcopal Cathedral in Denver, Colorado by Susan Tattershall and installed there in the summer of 2009 as a temporary organ while their Kimball was under-going restoration. The Hook was installed at the back of the sanctuary of the right side of the center aisle (when facing rear). When the Kimball returned home, the organ was sold. It was relocated to and installed in Holy Comforter Episcopal Church in Broomfield, Colorado by Jim Steinborn in 2016. Sources: Hook opus list; Andover Organ Co. files; Robert J. Reich; OHS Database; extant, restored organ. First Methodist Episcopal Church (aka, Haverhill Street Methodist Church) (later, First United Presbyterian Church) Haverhill Street Lawrence, Massachusetts
Please note that this page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of organs that brought you here, simply close this tab.