Alliance, Ohio, from 1954.
Classification: Organ Supplier
Website: A. R. Schopp's Sons, http://www.arschopp.com/We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
From the OHS Database Builders editor, updated March 25, 2017 -
A. R. Schopp's Sons is a major supplier to the organ industry, providing pipes, windchests, and other organ supplies. It is the successor to Gutfleisch & Schopp (1898-1947), a partnership of August Schopp and Leonard Gutfleisch, both formerly of Farrand & Votey. The present firm was established by brothers Harvey Schopp and Robert L. Schopp Sr., in Alliance, Ohio, in 1947. Originally a shop making metal pipes, the firm acquired the woodworking facilities of Hillgreen, Lane & Co. of Alliance, Ohio, when that firm closed in 1973.
August Reinhart Schopp was born in Bad Orb, Germany, in 1869. After emigrating to the United States in 1884, he began working for the Roosevelt Organ Company in New York City, where he learned the trade of pipe maker. He subsequently worked for several other east coast organbuilding firms, including Haskell, Hook & Hastings, Jardine, and Farrand & Votey. In 1898, Schopp and Leonard Gutfleisch left Farrand & Votey and formed the partnership of Gutfleisch & Schopp in Roselle, New Jersey. a pipe making firm.
Around 1901, Gutfleisch & Schopp moved to Alliance, Ohio, which was surrounded at the time by several emerging organbuilders: Schantz, Holtkamp, Hillgreen-Lane, Page, and others. In later years, Schopp was a supplier of pipes to M.P. Moller and Aeolian-Skinner.
In 1947, the Gutfleisch & Schopp partnership was dissolved, and the firm of A.R. Schopp's Sons, Inc., was formed by sons Robert and Harvey Schopp. August Schopp continued to work six days a week in the firm he helped to found until his death in 1954.
Staff (2015): Robert Schopp (Jr), president; Joe Russo, general manager; David Schopp, vice president; Sandee Monte, office manager. Approximately 40 employees.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1991). -
Succeeded Gutfleisch & Schopp; established by Harvey and Robert L. Schopp Sr., in Alliance Ohio, 1954; acquired woodworking facilities of Hillgreen, Lane & Co. of Alliance, Ohio, 1973; pipes, windchests, supplies; active 1996.