Detroit, Michigan, 1887-1897.
From the OHS Database Builders Listing editor, January 6, 2017. -
Farrand & Votey built a four-manual instrument for the World's Columbian Exposition (Chicago World's Fair) in 1893. The organ was located in Festival Hall and was widely praised by visiting musicians including Alexander Guilmant. After the fair, it was moved to the University Auditorium at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1991). Edited for the revised OHS Online Database website, 2017. -
Farrand & Votey Organ Co. was the successor of the Whitney Organ Co., manufacturer of reed organs. Clark J. Whitney sold his interest in Whitney Organ Co. to Edwin S. Votey, manager; and the firm's Secretary/Treasurer, William R. Farrand. The two men reorganized as Farrand & Votey, their partnership was in Detroit, Michigan, 1887-1897. The firm originally built only reed organs; it began pipe organ work with acquisition of Granville Wood Pipe Organ Co., in 1889. The firm acquired the assets of the Roosevelt firm of New York City, New York, 1893. The partners split amicably in 1897, the pipe organ business was succeeded by Votey Organ Co. and the reed organ business by Farrand Organ Co.
Staff: (Aeolian Co.); John T. Austin; James H. Bolton; Joseph Courville; William J. Davis; Robert Pier Elliot; G. Fink; Julius Firmbach; William B. Fleming; Leonhard Gutfleisch; George Head; John W. Heins; F. C. Kupfer; W. F. Raynolds; Leo F. Schoenstein; August R. Schopp; Edwin A. Spencer; Charles Wales; A. E. F. White; Granville Wood; William D. Wood; Philipp Wirsching.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 29, 2019.