Ludwigsburg, Germany, prior to 1888; New York City, New York, 1888; Erie, Pennsylvania, 1894; Charleston, South Carolina, 1894-1954.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1991). -
Born February 10, 1862 near Heidelberg, Germany; father of Henry A. and Herbert R. Gottfried, husband of Regina Gottfried, father-in-law of Max W. Beyer; at Missionsschule Chrischona of Basel, Switzerland; with August Laukhuff of Weikersheim, Germany, c. 1878; with E. F. Walcker firm of Ludwigsburg, Germany, 1888; immigrated to the United States, 1888; with Roosevelt firm in New York City, New York, then Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; established A. Gottfried & Co., 1890; partner with Henry Kugel, 1892- 1911; relocated firm to A. B. Felgemaker factory of Erie, Pennsylvania, 1894; relocated to Charleston, South Carolina; with Standaart Organ Co., which acquired his firm, 1948, head voicer; died 1954.
Patent #872,931; December 3, 1907; pipe
See main entry: A. Gottfried & Co.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
From Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, December 29, 2018. -
Anton Gottfried was the father of Henry A. Gottfried and Herbert R. Gottfried, husband of Regina Gottfried, and father-in-law of Max W. Beyer. He was born in Europe and was at Missionsschule Chrischona of Basel, Switzerland. He was with August Laukhuff of Weikersheim, Germany, c. 1878; and with E. F. Walcker firm of Ludwigsburg, Germany, until 1888.
He immigrated to the United States in 1888; and began with the Roosevelt firm in New York City, New York, later working in their Philadelphia, Pennsylvania branch. After the Roosevelt firm closed, he established A. Gottfried & Co. there in 1890. He became partner with Henry Kugel in 1892, the partnership lasted until 1911; the two relocated the firm to the A. B. Felgemaker factory of Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1894. 1
Anton Gottfried left Erie in the 1940s. It is not certain what happened to the firm in Erie: It either closed or was sold to former staff member Frederick Durst who changed the name. The National Organ Supply Co. was organized by other former employees of A. Gottfried & Co. and may have acquired some part of the business. Organ Supply Industries (OSI) lists all three companies as part of its heritage 2 Gottfried himself relocated to Charleston, South Carolina in the late 1940s establishing a firm there; he sold that concern to the Standaart Organ Co. in 1948, and went to work for them as head voicer.3 He retired from Standaart and moved to Daytona Beach, Florida; he died there in 1954.4