New York City, New York, prior to 1891; Bloomfield, New Jersey, 1891-1915.
See also Henry Erben.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
From the OHS Database Builders Listing editor, November 9, 2016. -
The date range is from the time Harrison took over from Henry Erben until the company bearing his name is last listed in local directories of the period. This encompasses all of his partnerships and his two periods of operating without a partner, the last company continued for six years after his retirement, presumably under his ownership and oversight but without his direct day to day involvement. Our best estimate of the time line for Harrison's activities is:
Harrison used "L. C. Harrision & Co." during his partnership with Petit, he may have used the same form for some of his solo ventures, but there are also nameplates giving the firm name as "L. C. Harrison", the nameplate alone may not be an accurate identifier for the period in which an instrument was built.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 29, 2019.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1991; rev. ed., 1997, with updated information). -
Lewis C. Harrison was born 4 February 1838 in West Orange, New Jersey; he was an apprentice with Hall & Labagh of New York City, New York, at age 12; he remained with the successor firms Hall, Labagh & Co. and Labagh & Kemp of New York City, New York. He became foreman of the Henry Erben firm of New York City; he acquired Erben & Son firm; in Bloomfield, New Jersey, 1891, with an office in New York City, New York, 1890s; partner with J. C. Pettit in L. C. Harrison & Co. of Bloomfield, New Jersey, 1890s; partner with Frank Taft in Harrison & Taft of Bloomfield, New Jersey, until c. 1902; partner with Robert Hope-Jones in Hope-Jones & Harrison in Bloomfield, New Jersey, 1904-1905; then continued his own firm; he retired in 1909*; the firm was last listed 1915.
Staff: J. Fred Berstecher; Peter J. Boland; Oscar H. Crane; Joseph P. Hague; Jacob Maier; Martin Maigren; James C. Pettit; Frank A. Pilcher; Charles Ronk; James J. Spaulding.