Chicago, Illinois, 1864-1977.
Classification: Service Person
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1991). -
Lyon & Healy was established as a music store by George W. Lyon and Patrick Joseph Healy in Chicago, Illinois, 1864. The firm began manufacture of small musical instruments, mid-1880s; and sold reed and pipe organs produced by other firms; it began building pipe organs in 1895 and continued until 1908; they were also representatives of the Aeolian Company by 1904; and acquired the Compensating Pipe Organ Co. of Battle Creek, Michigan, in 1906. They were representatives of the Estey firm of Brattleboro, Vermont, from 1918. The Lyon & Healy firm was acquired by CBS, Inc. in 1977; it continues business as a manufacture of harps.
Staff: Robert J. Bennett; Leland Buttfield; W. B. Damsel; George A. Hallwachs; Henry W. Matlack; William R. McArthur; Jerome B. Meyer; Jarvis Peloubet, August Reitz; Ernest Schmidt; William C. Smith; Allan G. Sparling; William C. Verney; William Webb; Lamotte Wells; Charles J. Whittaker.