Ripon, Wisconsin, 1867-1870; Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1870.
From Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, October 7, 2019. —
George Marshall (1828-1896) and Octavius Marshall (ca. 1842- 1918) were the first of four brothers to settle in the village of Ripon, Wisconsin around 1860. Marshall Brothers Organ Co. was established by brothers George, Thomas, Edward, and Octavius Marshall and John L. Lancashire in Ripon, 1864, although only George and Octavius took an active part in the business. In 1867-68, Philipp Odenbrett, who had a shop in Waupun, Wisconsin, joined the Marshalls and the firm was then styled Marshall and Odenbrett. St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Watertown, Wisconsin, had what must have been one of the first products of that union.
On 19 March 1870, the factory in Ripon was destroyed by fire, with losses of $12,000.00 and insurance of $5,500.00. Cities in the area were eager to gain new industries and in the ensuing days, there were reports that Janesville and Watertown, Wisconsin, as well as Chicago, were courting the Marshalls. Finally in May 1870, the move to Milwaukee was announced: they would operate in the old Matthew Bros. Furniture warehouse, at Fourth and Fowler. Both the Marshalls and Phillip Odenbrett moved to Milwaukee but went their separate ways: The firm was re-established as Marshall Brothers, while Odenbrett formed a new partnership with Frank Abler of Milwaukee.
See the complete article by Richard Weber for a more complete history of the Marshall Brothers, John L. Lancashire, Phillip Odenbrett, and Clinton Brooks. Available online at the Organ Historical Society website (https://organhistoricalsociety.org/) under Publications/The Tracker.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on October 08, 2019.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1991). —
Succeeded Marshall Brothers Organ Co.; partnership of the Marshall brothers with Phillip Odenbrett in Ripon, Wisconsin, 1867; relocated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1870; Marshall Brothers firm resumed thereafter.
Staff: William H. Turner.