This is the second firm called Steere & Turner, the first was the partnership of John W. Steere (father of John S.) with George W. Turner.— see: Steere and Turner [J.W. Steere]. —Ed.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
From Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, April 29, 2018. -
In 1867 two former employees of the Johnson company opened their own firm in Westfield MA. John W. Steer had built at least one organ under his own name before he was joined by George W. Turner.
Turner left the firm in 1891, and the name was changed from Steere & Turner to J.W. Steere & Sons, then J.W. Steere & Son. It was later known as J.W. Steere & Son Organ Company, and then The Steere Organ Co. In 1920 the factory burned, the following year E.M. Skinner acquired the business and consolidated it with his own.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1991). -
Brief partnership of John S. Steere [son of John W. Steere] and George W. Turner, 1893/1894.