Oakland, California, 1955-1963; San Francisco, California, 1963-present
From the OHS Database Builders Listing editor, October 26, 2016. -
Robert Kates and William Swain partnered in establishing Pacific Organ Builders of Oakland, California in 1955. In 1959 the firm was renamed Swain & Kates, Inc. and in 1963 relocated to San Francisco, California. The firm continued after the founders retired in 1996, and is still active. It was purchased from the founders by two staff members: Carl N. Van Os and Charles R. Ward in 1997.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1997). -