Geo. H. Ryder (Opus 155, 1890)

Location:

First Presbyterian Church
1200 SW Alder Street
Portland, OR 97205 US
Organ ID: 10747

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Presbyterian Churches
  • The organ is known from a single historic document only; presumed no longer extant, and may never have existed.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 41 ranks. 2,334 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 39 stops. 37 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 39
  • Registers: 37
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on February 19, 2007:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ was completed for the church in the same year in which the main sanctuary was completed - 1890. The approximate cost was $10,000.00, and the organ was the largest in the State of Oregon at the time. The case was of solid cherry to match the interior of the church. The 5-sectional façade consisted of two side flats and a center flat - which was higher and forward of the side flats, and separated by an ornately carved tower holding 3 pipes on either side. The façade contained 35 total pipes arranged: 9-3-11-3-9 from the Great 16' Contra Diapason and 8' Open Diapason. The pipes were stencilled.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Replaced by M. P. Möller, Op. 5467 in 1929. Some pipework went to a Guenther organ in Zion Evangelical Lutheran, Portland, OR.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist copied from church archives
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ in front gallery; Photo from church archives: Digital image by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2008-12-15

Organ in front gallery; Photo from church archives: Digital image by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2008-12-15

Organ in front gallery; Photo from church archives: Digital image by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2008-12-15

This instrument has been viewed 681 times.