Updated through online information from Randell Franklyn Busby. -- Organ has been placed for sale on eBay (03-08-2015)
The sanitorium was opened in 1913 for the benefit of Metropolitan employees suffering from tuberculosis; it closed in 1945. After World War II, it was used as a facility for military veterans returning to civilian life. In the 1960's, the facility was taken over by the State of New York as a school for the mentally challenged. At first, the school was the Mount McGregor division of Rome State School before it became Wilton State School. It was taken over by the NY State Department of Corrections in the 1970's. Plans were to close the facility the summer of 2014.
Updated through online information from Douglas Campbell. -- In 2006, the power supply (12v.) was changed, the main regulator was re-leathered and repairs were made to broken wiring. A concert was given during the OHS Certificate presentation by Agnes Rose Armstrong.
Information identifying this instrument from the Austin Organs, Inc. web site, accessed December 20, 2004: http://www.austinorgans.com/organ-research.htm.