from "Organs of Greater Lawrence" by Robert J Reich
Church Organized 1847; bldg. 1852, enlarged 1865; united with Unitarian Church 1959 in Universalist bldg.; built new church in Andover c1968, sold it c1975, bought old club bldg. 1985. Another source gives the date of organization as 1837 and the first building as 1838. * 1st organ: 1855, paid $350 for the organ hired. * 2nd organ: 1860. SP 3rd organ: Hook & Hastings #1365 1887, 2m, 14r. S 4th organ: W. W. Laws 1930, electrification with tonal changes, $5000; partially utilized in organ in new Andover church; some organ parts remained in old bldg. which was bought by city of Lawrence and later sold to a new Hispanic Primitive Methodist church.
Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- This organ was electrified by William W. Laws of Beverly, MA in 1930 with some minor tonal changes/additions. When the Lawrence congregation merged with the Andover, MA congregation at a new edifice in Andover, the organ was taken along and a "new" organ built by Roy E.W. Carlson & Co. of Magnolia, MA, retaining much of the existing pipework and the 1930 Laws "Austin-style" console. The building was later sold to the North Boston Korean United Methodist congregation.
Identified from company publications as edited and expanded in The Hook Opus List 1829-1935, ed. William T. Van Pelt (Organ Historical Society, 1991).
Exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Queen City MA, submitted by Andrew Scanlon. Taken approx. Early 20th C
Exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Historic postcard, Queen City Massachusetts, submitted by Andrew Scanlon. Taken approx. Early 20th C
Exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Historic postacrd, Queen City Massachusetts, submitted by Andrew Scanlon. Taken approx. Early 20th C