The Third Congregational Society in Springfield (later known as Church of the Unity) was organized in 1819 by secession of some of the "richest, most established parishioners from the First Parish Congregational Church.â€? In the 1860s the society needed a new building and held an architectural competition. The winner was the soon to be famous, H. H. Richardson; in fact, this was Richardson's first commission. The new edifice, located on State Street in downtown Springfield, was built from 1866-69. For many years it was considered Springfield-s most beautiful building. But as the demographics changed and the building became expensive to maintain, the congregation voted to relocate in 1957, and the old building was razed in 1961.
Identified from company publications as edited and expanded in The Hook Opus List 1829-1935, ed. William T. Van Pelt (Organ Historical Society, 1991).