In 1898 the R.S. Williams & Sons organ was installed. The organ may have been built before this date for another church and moved to St. Paul’s in 1898. Williams’ retail business operated in Toronto from 1879, when it was renamed R.S. Williams & Son.[Encyclopedia of Music in Canada, 2nd ed., edited by Helmut Kallman and Gilles Potvin (Toronto and Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 1992), 1002.] The name on the console add “s” (“Sons”), a late form of the name, so it is clear that the organ was built after 1879 and before 1898. No documents have been found relating to the purchase of the organ. The Williams factory was in Oshawa, where the firm built many thousands of pianos—possibly 67,000 instruments—before it succumbed to the Great Depression in 1929. All the other Toronto Williams organs have been rebuilt or removed. -- 2023 OHS Handbook
Updated through online information from John Speller. -- Organ restored by Gabriel Kney, 1977.
Status Note: There 1997
Restored Kney 1977. Playable 1997, but not used.