Wm. M. Goodrich (1818)

Location:

St. James Episcopal Church
Wilmington, NC 28401 US
Organ ID: 2192

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ is known from a single historic document only; presumed no longer extant, and may never have existed.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on March 25, 2009:

Updated through online information from James C. Burke, Ph.D.. -- An examination of primary source documents housed at William M. Randall Library at the University of North Carolina shows that this organ was the same instrument built by William Goodrich in 1818. It was disassembled and installed in the new church building, then replaced by an organ by George Jardine in 1848. In a letter to George Jardine dated March 1848, the "old organ" was shipped to New York. Previously cited secondary sources stating that a new organ arrived from New York in sixteen boxes on 23 October 1839 appears to be in error. The actual bill of lading for the schooner "A.F. Thorn" is filed with documents concerning the organs in the St. James Collection. The contents of this shipment, however, did not include an organ. Source: St. James Collection. Wilmington, NC: University of North Carolina at Wilmington, William M. Randall Library, Special Collections. MS# 169, Box 4, File 10, File 17; MS# 169, Box 16, File 11

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on March 12, 2009:

Updated through online information from James C. Burke, Ph.D.. -- An entry in the church records dated 23 October 1839 notes that the organ arrived on the schooner "A.F.Thorn." Source: McEachern, Leora Hiatt. Chronological History of St. James Parish, 1729-1979. Wilmington, NC: New Hanover County Public Library, North Carolina Room, 1982. 20.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on March 11, 2009:

Updated through online information from James C. Burke, Ph.D.. -- St. James Episcopal Church had its first services in it present building on 25 March 1839. Church records dated 23 October 1839 indicate that the organ arrived from New York in 16 boxes in October 1839. It was put up for sale in March of 1848 when replaced by an organ by George Jardine. [Sources: Block, Susan Taylor. Temple of Our Fathers: St. James Church (1724-2004). Wilmington, NC: Artspeaks Publishers, 2004. 85, n193; Tetterton, Beverly. Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten. Wilmington, NC: Dram Tree Books, 2005. 68; Wilmington Chronicle, 17 May 1848.]

The 23 March 1848 edition of the "Wilmington Journal" includes a stop list in the advertisement for the sale of the organ  Â

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
. On-line update from James C. Burke, Ph.D..: Open In New Tab Document created on 2000-01-01
We received the most recent update for this document from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.