Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Skinner Organ Co. (Opus 574, 1925)

Location:

Monumental Church, Episcopal
1224 E. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219 US
Organ ID: 23183

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP pitman
  • 25 ranks. 1,676 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 21 stops. 29 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP pitman chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 21
  • Registers: 29
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on November 28, 2016:

Updated through online information from EUGENE WALTER.
Per a 2014 article in The Diapason, this instrument was included in whole or in part in the 2014 Kegg Organ Co instrument installed in the Bryn Athyn Cathedral, Bryn Athyn, PA

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 05, 2012:

Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on March 23, 2006:

Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn: Replaced 1850 Erben retaining case; church closed; moved to St. Bridget Catholic Church, Richmond in 1975; restored by Jim Andrews.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist from Steve Emory, via Jonathan Bowen
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Label from side of expression box frame: Photograph by Bruce Schutrum. Taken on 2013-03-10

Builder's Nameplate: Photograph by Bruce Schutrum. Taken on 2013-02-21

Signatures on the inside of a panel from expression box wall: Photograph by Bruce Schutrum. Taken on 2013-03-12

Church Exterior: Vintage Postcard, courtesy of T. Bradford Willis, DDS (1900s).

This instrument has been viewed 697 times.