This was a rebuild of 1895 3/42 Hutchings Op. 388, retaining much of the pipework; from the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project: In 1912, the Hutchings chancel organ (Op. 388, 1895) was rebuilt by J.W. Steere & Son, who reused many pipes from the previous organ. Dr. William C. Carl, organist at nearby First Presbyterian Church, opened the new organ, and subsequent recitals were given by Scott Wheeler and Felix Lamonde.
Lynnwood Farnam (1885-1930), noted concert organist of the early 20th century, was in the habit of writing down specifications and comments of the organs he visited and played. An entry dated February 16, 1922, includes the following specification of the 1912 Steere organ at Church of the Ascension. Farnam commented: "Beautiful-toned instrument. Effective pedal. 32 unusually good. ORGANIST – Miss Jessie Craig Adam."
Updated through online information from Connor Annable.
Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
Rebuild of Geo. S. Hutchings #388. Later rebuilt by Skinner (1931).