Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Balcom and Vaughan (1938)

Originally William Wood Pipe Organ Co. (1926)

Location:

Wallingford Evangelical United Brethren Church
2115 N. 42nd Street
Seattle, WA 98103 US
Organ ID: 24318

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Evangelical United Brethren
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on August 24, 2019.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP unit
  • 5 ranks. 2 divisions. 2 manuals. 5 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP unit chests
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. No visible pipes.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on August 24, 2019.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 2
  • Registers: 5
  • Position: Console in fixed position, center.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Horseshoe style console.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys in horseshoe curves.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on August 24, 2019.
Database Manager on August 24, 2019:

Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- Subsequent searching has revealed that the original home of the Woods theatre organ was the Dalles Theatre in The Dalles, Oregon. In its original home it is recorded on the Puget Sound Theatre Organ Society website as having been 8 ranks.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on August 25, 2019.

Database Manager on October 21, 2006:

Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The original home of this organ is unknown. It was transplanted to the Wallingford church ca. 1938 by Balcom and Vaughan who replaced the original Woods console with a used Wurlitzer console of unknown origins. The church later became Walingford United Methodist, and Balcom and Vaughan made later tonal changes and additions.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ chamber at front of sanctuary: Photograph by James R. Stettner.

Console: Photograph by James R. Stettner.

This instrument has been viewed 113 times.