Owner (1957)

Originally Hook & Hastings (Opus 2443, 1921)

Location:

First Presbyterian Church
1051 Oak Ridge Turnpike
Oak Ridge, TN 37830 US
Organ ID: 30746

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Presbyterian Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on March 04, 2020.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP ventil
  • 4 divisions. 3 manuals.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP ventil chests
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on March 04, 2020.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Position: Console in fixed position, right.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on March 04, 2020.
Database Manager on October 28, 2007:

Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- By 1957, the existing organ was proving to be inadequate for the musical needs of the church. The 1921 Hook & Hastings (Op. 2443) organ from St. John's Episcopal in Knoxville was for sale, and was acquired for $308.00. It was used as the basis for a "new" organ. Mostly it became the Swell, Choir, and Pedal. It is unclear if the existing, electrified Pilcher was retained and combined, or replaced altogether. A new Great division was provided with exposed chests in front of each of the two front wall chamber grilles, and on the left wall over the choir gallery. This project was headed by parishioner Jimmy Marks, and chemical engineer Joe Lee (later, Lee Organs, Knoxville). The oak woodwork for the exposed chests was built by Dick Busey. Many others participated. Total cost of the project was estimated to be only $1,300.00. The III-man. console was initially loaned to the church by Joe Lee, and later sold to them for $500.00. The incomplete organ wasn't ready to play until 1960. It was dedicated for the congregation by Al Lunsford (Schantz Rep.) of Knoxville in 1960. But it wasn't until 1962 that a public recital was given on the organ by Dr. James A. Bloy of nearby Maryville College in Maryville, Tennessee. The organ received further rebuilding and improvements by Joe Lee between 1978-80. The Swell chests were rebuilt with electro-mechanical action to replace aging leather pneumatics. By 1985, still only about $10,000.00 had been invested in the organ project.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Sanctuary interior with ecposed pipework: Photograph by Jim Tonne.

Exposed pipes in front of Swell and Choir chambers: Photograph by Jim Tonne.

Exposed pipework on left chancel wall: Photograph by Jim Tonne.

Console: Photograph by Jim Tonne.

Pipe Organs in Tennessee sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 489 times.