Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Steven Empson (1987)

Originally Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co. (Opus 1208, 1950)

Location:

St. Philip's Episcopal Church
New York City: Manhattan (Harlem), NY US
Organ ID: 35385

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has an unknown or unreported status.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on November 29, 2019.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 3 manuals.
All:
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on November 29, 2019.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on November 29, 2019.
Database Manager on November 30, 2019:

The organ at St. Philip's Church was contracted to the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company in 1950 and installed in 1952 as Opus 1208. G. Donald Harrison supervised the design and installation, which was a rebuild of the previous 1943 Hillgreen, Lane & Co. organ. Aeolian-Skinner reused most of the pipes and the console from the Hillgreen, Lane organ. Of special note is the ivory plate with G. Donald Harrison's signature, which has been retained on the present console. The "Trompette en chamade" stop located above the West End entrance was the first installation of a horizontal reed in New York City, predating by two years the famous State Trumpet installed in 1954 at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. Voiced on 5" of wind, the trumpet stop was to be part of the Great division in the chancel, but its chest and pipes were moved to the West End at some point by Aeolian-Skinner. In 1967, a new drawknob console by Austin Organs was installed. Tonal changes were made by Steven Empson between 1982-87. In 1996, the chancel ceiling collapsed and caused significant damage to the organ; repairs are being made as funding becomes available. Around 2005, the Trompette en chamade was trampled as workers repaired the window at the West End; these pipes were restored in 2007.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on November 30, 2019.

Database Manager on June 10, 2008:

Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
Roof of church collapsed due to snow in 1996.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Stoplist from the NYC AGO New York City Organ Project: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on November 30, 2019.

Instrument Images:

Church interior: Photograph by Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Console and nave to rear: Photograph via Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Trompette-en-Chamade: Photograph via Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Console center: Photograph via Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Left Stopjamb: Photograph via Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Right Stopjamb: Photograph via Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Church exterior: Photograph via Steven E. Lawson. Taken on 2002-09-09

Pipe Organs in New York sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 14 times.