From the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project: In 1955, the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company installed their Opus 1272, a three-manual instrument installed in a niche above and behind the stage of the Recital Hall of the Juilliard School of Music. Vernon de Tar, Chair of the Organ Department, designed the organ and also dedicated it on January 10, 1956. The organ remained at the Claremont Avenue building when the Juilliard School relocated to Lincoln Center in 1969; the building's new occupants, the Manhattan School of Music, continued to use the organ. A leaky roof damaged the organ in 1969 and again in 1982, after which a substantial amount of pipework was replaced by Anthony Bufano. Tonal revisions by Bufano took place after another leak in 1988. This organ was removed in 2002 when Hubbard Hall was renovated and renamed Greenfield Hall. Following are the specifications from the Aeolian-Skinner Factory Contract.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on December 03, 2019.
Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
Replaced Hillgreen- Lane; building sold to Manhattan School of Music; damaged by roof leak in 1969. Alterations by Anthony Bufano following further leaks in 1982, 1987.