Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Abbott & Sieker (1983)

Originally Farrand & Votey Organ Co. (Opus 767, 1895)

Location:

First Congregational Church
540 S. Commonwealth Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90020 US
Shatto Chapel
Organ ID: 35929

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ has been renovated with changes from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP pitman
  • 26 ranks. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 35 stops. 22 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP pitman chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 35
  • Registers: 22
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on July 12, 2008:

Identified through on-line information from Jeff Scofield. -- Originally 1895 Farrand & Votey Op. 767; reb. by Murray Harris 1903 and moved to chancel of present chapel in 1932; rebuilt by Kilgen in 1949; rebuilt and enlarged by Abbott & Sieker in 1983 and moved to West Gallery, with some color stops left in chancel chamber; tonal renovations and new console by William Zeiler in 1999, with 5-stop Positiv prepared for.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior: Photograph by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2001-01-14

Console: Photograph by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2001-01-14

Front of chapel with facade: Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald. Taken on 2012-04-20

Organ in rear gallery: Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald. Taken on 2012-04-21

Console: Photograph by Bryan Dunnewald. Taken on 2012-04-21

This instrument has been viewed 153 times.