In 1976, the Archives Committee contacted the organ building firm of James R. McFarland & Co. about the possibility of a complete restoration of the organ to its 1787 condition. The task was accepted and work began in 1980. All the missing parts of the organ were meticulously replicated included the two wedge-shaped bellows, the pedal chest, various parts of the case and the front pipes all of which had apparently been stored in the church attic. Every effort was made to strictly adhere to Tannenberg's construction methods. This was possible as a result of the very detailed documentation performed by the McFarland shop on all the extant instruments of Tannenberg as well as any extant parts or surviving front pipes.
The restoration was completed in 1983 and the organ was installed in the newly constructed gallery in the Single Brothers' House next to the church. The reconstructed bellows were placed in the attic above the gallery and are pumped by pulling two ropes that hang from the ceiling. This is now the only example of this type of wind system arrangement once quite common in many Pennsylvania-German organs.
Additional work and setting of a new temperament (Sorge, 1744) was completed by James R. McFarland and Hans Herr in April of 2010. -- DavidTannenberg.com: Lititz Moravian Church - Lititz, PA - 1787
Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock.
Updated through online information from Paul Marchesano.
Built for the Moravian Church, Lititz, PA. Moved to Moravian Church, South Bethlehem in 1879. Dismantled and placed in storage in Lititz (part in church, part in Single Brothers' House). Portion at church destroyed by fire in 1957. Remainder restored/reconstructed by McFarland 1976-83. Compass 53/20.