Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

M. P. Möller (Opus 1046, 1910)

Location:

Chalmers Mem'l ARP/Grace Covenant Church
1800 South Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28203 US
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 40426

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Nondenominational Churches
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, used occasionally.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jeff Scofield on May 10, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 11 ranks. 640 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 12 stops.
All:
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 12
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat radiating pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on March 29, 2016:

Updated through online information from Daren McGrew.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on July 14, 2014:

Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- Apple, 1985, records "This organ is the oldest instrument in Charlotte which has not been altered by revoicing or replacement of pipes. The case of mahogany with stencilled facade pipes. The original two-manual console, first built with tubular-pneumatic action, is attached to the case with terraced stopknobs. There are eleven ranks, number 640 pipes. The organ was dedicated on June 13, 1910, by Harry J. Zehm, assisted by May Penfield-Guthrie, soprano, as part of the dedicatory services of the new "meeting-house". In the early 1950's, the Charles J. Miller Co. of Charlotte replaced the action with electro-pneumatic and replaced the couplers, adding two to the original six."

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 24, 2011:

Updated through online information from David Ritch.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on June 16, 2009:

Updated through online information from David Ritch.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 19, 2009:

On the Möller lists as being in Chalmers Memorial A.R.P. church, which may be this location, there having been ample opportunity for a name change in the past 100 years.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.

Database Manager on April 03, 2009:

Identified through online information from David Ritch. -- In the early 1950's, the Charles Miller Organ Co. replaced the tubular-pneumatic action with electro-pneumatic action and replaced the couplers, adding two to the original six.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist (Source: Apple, 1985)
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Jeff Scofield on May 10, 2022.
Specifications from factory ledger book, courtesy of Roman Lizak: Open In New Tab Specifications from factory ledger book, courtesy of Roman Lizak
Document created on 1910-04-11
We received the most recent update for this document from Jeff Scofield on May 10, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Organ case and facade: Photograph by David Ritch. Taken on 2009-04-02

Chancel, organ and façade pipes: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2013-10-16

Church interior: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2018-01-10

Church exterior: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2015-02-09

This instrument has been viewed 372 times.