The following notice was published in the Illinois State Register, October 17, 1845: "We understand that a large organ has been procured for the use of the first Presbyterian church of this city, and is now being set up. This instrument built in New York, is said by those who are acquainted with it to be one of great compass, sweetness of tone, and power. We are glad to see such evidences of taste for the cultivation and improvement of sacred music among us. We are informed that the choir of the church, aided by other musical talent of the city, intend giving a concert on Saturday evening next, when the public will have an opportunity of hearing the organ for the first time. It will afford a rare attraction to the lovers of sacred song. The proceeds of the concert are to be applied towards the payment of the organ, and we hope a generous public will appreciate the object and a crowded house be witnessed."
A notice the following week, October 24, 1845, named the builder: "On Saturday evening, we had the pleasure of listening to the organ, just set up in the first Presbyterian Church of this city. This organ was built by G. House of Dryden, Thompkins [sic] county, New York. It is of large size, neat and chaste in appearance—of white color, and corresponding well with the architecture of the church. Its tones appear to us peculiarly sweet and pleasing, while at the same time there is great power to some of its notes. It will doubtless be a great acquisition to the lovers of music in the community."
According to the history page at the church's website, *"For 190 years people from all walks of life have joined together as the congregation now known as The First Presbyterian Church of Springfield. Our church has a long history of service and commitment to the city of Springfield. The current building, on the corner of Seventh and Capital Streets, became our home in 1872 when we purchased the building from Third Presbyterian Church. Our prior building, which was located on the corner of Third and Washington Streets, was the church the Lincoln family attended. Sadly, this building was sold and later torn down, but the Lincoln pew remains and is on display in our church Narthex." *
Sources: "Our History," First Presbyterian Church, Springfield, Illinois, accessed January 25, 2022, https://www.lincolnschurch.org/history. Untitled note, Illinois State Register (Springfield), October 17, 1845, , Newspapers.com, accessed February 13, 2022, https://www.newspapers.com/image/756115524. Untitled note, Illinois State Register (Springfield), October 24, 1845, , Newspapers.com, accessed January 25, 2022, https://www.newspapers.com/image/756115560.
Originally called Sangamo Pres. Organ in the rear gallery. Building sold to a Lutheran Congregation ca. 1870.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.