Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Wirsching Organ Co. (1890)

Originally Wm. A. Johnson (Opus 195, 1865)
Exhibited in the 2009 OHS convention

Location:

St. Mary Roman Catholic Church
320 Middle Avenue
Elyria, OH 44035 US
Organ ID: 41278

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has an unknown or unreported status.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on July 06, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 13 ranks. 656 pipes. 2 manuals.
All:
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Brad Engelland on January 01, 2021:

From the Organ Historical Society Organ Atlas 2009 - The City of Cleveland and Northern Ohio:

Homer D. Blanchard of Oberlin believed that the Wirsching Organ Co. of Salem, Ohio rebuilt the Johnson “about the turn of the [last] century,” adding a second manual with three ranks and extending the pedal compass from 13 to 27 notes. The case was extended at the rear by approximately 18” to accommodate the changes. Blanchard further theorized that Wirsching provided a new golden-oak front while retaining the the older, darker case sides, also postulating that what is likely the original Pedal Bourdon chest might have been located at the back of the organ, later moved to one side, with the newer Bourdon extension chest on the other side, thus requiring a wider front. Also, he believed that the Great Diapason was originally a tenor C rank, with a bass provided by Wirsching in the new facade (the facade pipes have 2/9 mouths, while the interior pipes have ¼ mouths). Wirsching provided a new mechanical action and located the Swell behind, not above, the Great.

Little has occurred since. An electric blower was fitted in the late 1920s, and at some point the tenor-C Trumpet disappeared. When the original reservoir leather failed, Blanchard introduced a new reservoir, retaining the 2 ¾” wind pressure. Blanchard’s work was contracted on September 1, 1959. In 1987 James Leek made additional repairs and fitted a new Trumpet on the original slide.

We received the most recent update for this note from Brad Engelland on January 01, 2021.

Database Manager on June 07, 2009:

Rebuild of existing Wm. A Johnson organ of 1865, with the addition of three stops to the swell.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
2009 OHS Atlas: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on July 06, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Organ Case and Keydesk: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Keydesk: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Left Drawknobs: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Right Drawknobs: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Church Exterior: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

This instrument has been viewed 778 times.