Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

George Jardine & Son (1868)

Location:

Most Holy Trinity R.C. Church
Corner of 8th & Telfair Streets
Augusta, GA 30903 US
Organ ID: 4146

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 29 ranks. 1,520 pipes. 2 manuals. 25 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Stops: 25
  • Position: Keydesk attached, manuals set into case.
  • Manual Compass: 56
  • Pedal Compass: 25
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 07, 2018: We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Name is Most Holy Trinity. St. Patrick is the Patron Saint. Restored by Zimmer 1993, 2-30. The facade consists of several pipes from the great Open Diapason which are gold, and stenciled on them is a lovely pattern in red, plus (translation from the Latin, I forget the words) Praise the Lord with Choir and Organ. It consists of twenty-nine ranks, one 16' rank on each manual, plus three (diapason, flute, and trombone) in the pedals. The reeds are beautiful (pedal Trombone, great Trumpet, and swell Cornopean). It has a marvelous tone and a very stiff action. Date also listed as 1871 but newspaper articles confirm the 1868 date. The church's web page (2003) indicates the organ was restored in 1994 by Messrs. Henry Hawkinson and Morris Spearman of Charlotte, North Carolina (working for Zimmer??)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

The pipe organ in the Church of the Most Holy Trinity is thought to have been built in New York during the Civil War but not installed until October 1868 because of the Union blockade of Southern ports. Built by George Jardine and Son of New York City, it contains 1,520 pipes. The organ was the first large instrument built by Jardine for a Southern church in the Post-bellum period. In 1994, the organ was completely restored by Messrs. Henry Hawkinson and Morris Spearman of Charlotte, North Carolina and was selected by the Organ Historical Society as "an instrument of exceptional historic merit, worthy of preservation." Most Holy Trinity's organ is the largest extant 19th-century organ remaining in the South and one of the largest Jardines in the country. (church web site, 2014)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Specification from church web site
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Casework: Photograph by Christian Draper. Taken on 2017-10-15

Pipe Organs in Georgia sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 144 times.