Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Baltimore Church & Concert Organ Manufacturing Co. (1886)

Originally Ganter and Schumacher (1886)

Location:

Holy Cross R.C. Church
110 E. West Street
Baltimore, MD US
Organ ID: 4338

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition needs attention, but in usable condition.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 26 ranks. 2 manuals. 24 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
  • Slider Motors: Pneumatic (EP or TP) slider motors.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Stops: 24
  • Position: Console in fixed position, center.
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style without cover.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 07, 2018: We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Database Manager on February 18, 2013:

Updated through online information from David M Storey. -- This organ received OHS historic citation July 10, 1991

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on February 16, 2013:

Updated through online information from David M Storey. -- details based on personal observation.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 31, 2005:

From John Igoe: A new organ supply console was installed in the late 1990's by local maintenance man Al Bowders. In 2004-5, OHS member David Storey placed solenoid motors on the slider chests, to replace the badly designed pneumatic stop action. The organ had terrible winding problems which have now been corrected.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Co. also known as Ganter & Schumacher.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Electrified. By 1995 had MIDI hook-up.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Pipe Facade: Photograph by John Shanahan (1990).

This instrument has been viewed 247 times.