Updated by Scot Huntington, who has heard or played the organ. Scot Huntington also listed this individual as a source of information: Stephen Pinel.
The original contract signed with Henry Erben in 1839 was for a one-manual organ. This was modified into a two-manual organ during construction by installing separate pallet boxes at each end of the 58-note windchest grid and installing a dividing wall in the note channels. The two rank Choir division uses the back section of the chest.
Assuming this is the organ owned by George Templeton Strong, it was a gift from the parents to their son who was then living at home. George bought his own home in Gramercy Park in the 1850s, and the organ was enlarged to three manuals with the addition of an enclosed Swell by Henry Erben at the time of the move.
Owing to the compact design of the organ intended for a residential parlor, the action and bass borrowings are technologically complicated for the period showing a degree of innovation and non-American organ construction ideas not typically encountered in American organs of the period.
Status Note: There 1992
From Marble Collegiate, NYC. Builder possibly Geib. Rebuilt by Erben c.1820 as 3-14. To First Reformed, Saugerties c. 1861. Here c. 1880. Renovated by Rowland in 1925. Plus later alterations. Extensive repairs by Dana Hull and Charles Ruggles c. 1992. Believed to be oldest 3m organ in U.S.