From page 95 “The Organ Historical Society, Inc. Organ Handbook 1983”. Published for the 28th Annual National Convention of the Society: The elegant brick church, internationally famous as one of the finest works of the Boston architect, Charles Bulfinch, was built in 1816, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971. It is still heated by wood stoves…. The first organ in the building was installed in 1841; research thus far failed to reveal who built it, or what became of it when it was replaced in 1869 by the present instrument, built by Wm. B.D. Simmons & Co. In 1884, Reuben G. Reed made minor mechanical changes and added a Pedal Bourdon 16’ in 1963, the Andover Organ Co. added one rank to the Mixture II, and added the Sesquialtera II ; at the same time they replaced the two strings in the Swell, a Keraulophon 8’ (TC) and Salicional 8” (TC), with the Flautino 2” and the Quint1 1/3; however, the basic character of the Simmons is unchanged.
Updated through online information from James R. Stettner.
Updated through online information from Barbara Owen.
Status Note: There 1983.
Altered Reuben G. Reed 1884; rebuilt Andover 1963, #40, 2-19.