Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

B. Schaefer & Sons Co. (1916)

Originally Unknown Builder (1873)
Exhibited in the 1990 OHS convention

Location:

St. Antony of Padua Catholic Church
6912 COUNTY HIGHWAY W
Allenton: Addison Twp., WI 53090 US
Organ ID: 47582

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on October 28, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider with pneumatic pull-downs (externally, EP or TP)
  • 7 ranks. 393 pipes. 2 divisions. 1 manuals. 7 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider with pneumatic pull-downs (externally, EP or TP) chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
  • Built by Unknown Builder
  • Slider Motors: Pneumatic (EP or TP) slider motors.
We received the most recent update for this division from Paul R. Marchesano on October 28, 2021.
Main:
  • Built by Unknown Builder
  • Manuals: 1
  • Divisions: 2
  • Stops: 7
  • Position: Console in fixed position, center.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style without cover.
  • Stop Controls: Tilting/rocking tablets above top manual.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat radiating pedalboard.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Paul R. Marchesano on October 28, 2021.
Paul R. Marchesano on October 28, 2021:

A contract dated 18 March 1916 between B. Schaefer & Son Co., organbuilders of Schleisingerville, Wisconsin, and St. Anthony's Church of Allenton, specifies that the builders "shall rebuild the organ in St. Anthony's Church ... wilh the best material, and in the most thorough manner, " before the 13th of June, $250.00 to be paid by the church six months after completion of the organ, and the "balance of $225.00 after the winter months, if the organ proves satisfactory." Apparently it did, and it is still in regular use, having been recently completely restored by T. R. Rench & Co. of Racine.

The instrument, which has cone-valve ventil chests, can still be hand pumped. The flat pedal clavier has radiating sharps. The unenclosed Open Dia. 8' has 9 melodia basses with freins, and 17 zinc basses In the facade; the remainder of the set is spotted and slotted. 1-24 of the Stopp Dia. 8' are of stopped wood with normal mouths, 25-42 are stopped melodias, and 43-61 are of open metal. The Aeoline 8' has 9 stopped wood basses; the unenclosed Octave 4' has 11 zinc basses in the facade. 1-12 of the Flute 4' are melodia pipes. -- from the 1990 OHS Handbook

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on October 28, 2021.

Database Manager on January 16, 2011:

Identified through on-line information from Rick Erickson. -- Possibly pneumatic action

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
1990 OHS Handbook: Open In New Tab Originally published July 1990
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on October 28, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ case in loft: Photograph from an archival source: 1990 OHS Handbook, William T. Van Pelt, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1990

Console: Photograph from an archival source: 1990 OHS Handbook, William T. Van Pelt, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1990

This instrument has been viewed 188 times.