Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Miller Organ Co. [A. B. & A. H. Miller] (1888)

Exhibited in the 1976 OHS convention

Location:

Old Salem Lutheran Church
119 N 8th Street
Lebanon, PA 17046 US
Chapel/Original 1760 church
Organ ID: 4804

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Lutheran Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, used occasionally.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on April 20, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 31 ranks. 1,705 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 27 stops. 27 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 27
  • Registers: 27
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on September 03, 2016:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on February 19, 2015:

Updated through online information from Evan Brickner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on February 19, 2015:

Updated through online information from Evan Brickner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on February 02, 2015:

Updated through online information from glennarnold. -- I have bought an organ built in 1873 by abraham H miller and am having it installed in my house.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on September 03, 2008:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- Organ dedicated August 5, 1888 with services in both German and English. Dedicatory recitalist was Prof. D.D. Wood, who was organist at St. Stephen's Church in Philadelphia. The organ is in the front left corner of the sanctuary with facades on both the chancel and sanctuary sides. The console is attached to the sanctuary side of the case. Source: 1976 OHS Organ Handbook.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1997

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Cost $3,300. Restored by Andover 1973. Repairs 1997 by R. J. Brunner after ceiling plaster fell into it.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist taken from the 1976 OHS Convention Handbook and photos of the stopjambs
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior; postcard image: Digital image by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2008-12-15

Church interior; postcard image: Digital image by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2008-12-15

Organ from beneath left gallery: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Front of church: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Organ case: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Keydesk, pedals and facade: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Keydesk and pedals: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Keydesk: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Left stopjamb: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Right stopjamb: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Pedalboard, expression pedals, combination trundles: Digital photo by Liz Stettner. Taken on 2008-09-09

Sanctuary Interior, Chancel, and Organ Case: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2002-05-01

Sanctuary Interior and Organ Case: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2002-05-01

Console: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2002-05-01

Left Drawknobs: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2002-05-01

Right Drawknobs: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2002-05-01

Builder's Nameplate: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2002-05-01

Pipe Organs in the Philadelphia area sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 715 times.