Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Geo. S. Hutchings (& Co.) (1913)


First Congregational Church
101 West Works
Sheridan, WY 82801 US
Church Sanctuary
Organ ID: 48842

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ has been renovated with changes from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 16 ranks. 900 pipes. 3 divisions. 3 manuals. 17 stops. 22 registers.
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 17
  • Registers: 22
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Setterboard (remote or in console).
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard not meeting AGO standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on September 20, 2011:

Identified through online information from Gary D. Bowers. -- It has a bat wing, fold out draw knob console. The original 1913 console is still in use. This was the first instrument in Sheridan that was built already electrified. Another unique thing about this instrument is that the swell shades are located on top of the organ. This instrument retains its historical integrity – and is substantially today as it was when originally installed. The pipe organ building firm of Morel & Associates of Denver has been servicing this organ since 1966. A major renovation of the organ was completed by Morel & Associates in 1977. In 1985 the two main bellows were releathered. In 1994, in conjunction with a remodeling of the choir area, the console was moved onto a moveable platform – and located closer to its original location. The electrical supply to the organ was updated, and the electrical relay system was updated. Although no longer in use the original relay system and power supply were left in place. In 1995 two ranks of pipes, the Cornopean and Oboe, were removed, taken to Denver by Morel & Associates, cleaned and regulated. Prior to these modifications the organ was plagued from time to time with problems stemming from its now 95 year old electrical system. Modifications were made in such a way as to not jeopardize the historical integrity of the organ.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Chancel and Organ Case: Photograph by Shauna Bowers. Taken on 2010-12-22

This instrument has been viewed 73 times.