Identified through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- The organ, by an unknown builder, was given by Thomas Brattle, who brought it from England at least by 1708. Upon his death, he willed it to the Brattle Square Church in Boston, who refused it. Provision in his will forwarded the bequest to King's Chapel, who accepted it with some reservation. It was set up in the church by 1714. It was sold in 1756 to St. Paul's Church, Newburyport. In 1836 it was sold again to St. John's Church, Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Here, after times of disuse and unplayability, it was restored by Charles B. Fisk in 1965. It remains in the church today (2012) and the OHS listing for it in that location suggests that it was built c. 1665.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.