Updated through online information from James R. Stettner.
Altered and relocated existing organ.
Identified by James R. Stettner, based on personal knowledge of the organ.
-- The Laws organ was a rebuild of the former 1874 Wm. B.D. Simmons organ from Second Baptist Church along with the Swell division of the 1902 Hook & Hastings, Opus 1923 originally built for Trinity Church in New York City. The H & H was a rebuild of a former 1864 Hall & Labagh organ. The original Simmons Great and Swell became the Great and Choir on their original 58-note slider chests with a 3-note treble chest added to each. The Hook & Hastings Swell became the new Swell on its original 56-note slider chest, and with a 17-note treble chest added for notes 57-73.
Calvary Baptist Church was formed in 1921 by the merger of First Free Will Baptist and Second Baptist churches. A new, large brick edifice was erected on the site of the former First Free Will Baptist. In 1934, First Baptist Church merged with Calvary Baptist Church after suffering from a fire in 1933. The merged congregations were renamed First Calvary Baptist Church. On January 8, 1988, First Calvary Baptist Church was all but destroyed by a fire in an electrical box in the room beneath the Swell. What pipework survived the fire was further damaged by exposure to water and the elements. In November 1988, a crew from the Andover Organ Co. lead by Robert C. Newton salvaged seven nearly complete ranks, and many other misc. pipes from the organ before the building was finally razed.
Chancel and front loft with twin organ facades: Photograph from an archival source: Church notecard, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. ca. 1960's