Updated through online information from John Igoe.
Web Site notes: Hilborne L. Roosevelt built their Opus 148 for what is now Highway Tabernacle Church in their Philadelphia shops in 1884. It remained virtually untouched in its original location for another 102 years until being restored by Patrick J. Murphy in 1986.
What makes this story truly remarkable is that on the night of August 21, 1986 the church was all but destroyed by fire. The manual pipes had all been removed and stored in the adjoining parish hall and the reservoir had been removed to a hallway to be sent out for releathering when the fire hit. The metal façade pipes, still in place, were damaged beyond repair as were a number of the wooden bourdon pipes in the façade to the sides of the metal pipes.
Recycled Bourdon pipes from Roosevelt Opus 100, 1883, were located to replace the damaged ones. A. R. Schopp constructed new metal façade pipes drawings to match the ones destroyed in the fire. The windchests were re-tabled and repaired and the fire-damaged action restored. The result is an organ that is much as Hilborne Roosevelt left it in 1884.
Status Note: There 1996We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Formerly Fifth Baptist. Restored by Patrick J. Murphy & Assoc. after fire damage in 1987.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.