Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Puget Sound Pipe Organs (1999)

Originally Balcom and Vaughan Pipe Organs, Inc. (Opus 796RB, 1973)

Location:

St. John the Evangelist R.C. Church
121 N. 80th St.
Seattle, WA 98103 US
Organ ID: 53123

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on July 04, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP unit
  • 19 ranks. 1,166 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 17 stops. 35 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP unit chests
  • Position: In gallery-level chambers at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on July 04, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 17
  • Registers: 35
  • Position: Console in fixed position, center.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on July 04, 2018.
Database Manager on June 12, 2016:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on September 27, 2015:

This entry describes alterations to an existing organ. Identified by James R. Stettner, based on personal knowledge of the organ.

This was the replacing of the Great 8'/4' Doppel Flute added by Bosman in 2000 with an 8'/4' Harmonic Flute; and also the separating of the Great II Sesquialtera into its 2-2/3' Quint and 1-3/5' Tierce components available separately.

A used/rebuilt replacement 3-manual stack was previously installed by Puget Sound Pipe Organs in 2012 to replace the existing 2-manual and added third manual. In 2013, Puget Sound Pipe Organs added a new Zephyr blower inside the Swell chamber. Also in 2013, the Swell gallery shutters were restored, and a new electric shutter motor was installed for the nave shutters.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on August 25, 2014:

This is a rebuild of an existing organ. Identified by James R. Stettner, based on personal knowledge of the organ. -- This was a rebuild of the existing organ of 17 ranks. Many of the extant ranks were replaced with other, more suitable ranks. Much of the pipework came from the Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Seattle's Magnolia neighborhood.

  • A 3-rank Balcom and Vaughan Kilgen-style E-P unit chest from Church of the Ascension was added to the Great division to hold the 8' Trumpet formerly located in the Swell, but playable from the Great.
  • A Stinkens 8'/4' Rohr Flöte from Ascension replaced the existing Rohr Flöte (which was the Kimball Melodia with Flute d'Amour stoppers inserted) located in the Swell chamber but playable from the Great.
  • The existing IV Mixture 2' component was also placed on this 3-rank chest to provide for an independent 2' Super Oktave register. It drew with the remaining 3 ranks when the IV Mixture tablet was registered.
  • In the Swell, the original 1924 & 1926 Kimball windchests were replaced with three, 4-stop Kilgen-style E-P unit chests built by Balcom and Vaughan from Church of the Ascension.
  • The Kimball 8' Stopped Diapason was replaced with a 1923 16'/8' Bennett rank from the Methodist Church in Chehalis, Washington.
  • A used 1933 Moller (Op. 6133) 8' Gamba from a project at the Methodist Church in Chehalis was installed with the 8' Spitz Gamba taken in trade.
  • The Voix Celeste was used pipework of unknown origin in the inventory.
  • The original Kimball tapered 8' Dulciana (i.e., Muted Viol) was cut down at scale, de-bearded, and revoiced as the 4' Octave Conique.
  • The 4' Spill Flöte was from the former 1956 Balcom and Vaughan organ (Op. 621) at Our Saviour's Lutheran in Spokane, Washington.
  • The 2-2/3' Nasard was the Ascension 2' Block Flöte with five new bass pipes added.
  • The existing St. John's 2' Block Flöte remained as such.
  • The existing St. John's 1-1/3' Nasat had three new bass pipes added to become the 1-3/5' Tierce.
  • The 8' Oboe was retained from the Kimball.
  • On the Pedal, the existing St. John's 16' Bourdon was retained and renamed Sub Bass. Two used Kimball pipes from inventory were added on a 2-note chest for notes 31 & 32.
  • The 16' Contre Basse extension from Ascension was added in the Great chamber to the existing Balcom and Vaughan 8' Oktav Bass unit.
  • Other manual stops were borrowed to the Pedal to augment its versatility.
The Kimball windchests were given to the Pipe Organ Foundation of Mercer Island, Washington. The Ascension electro-mechanical relay was installed in the Swell chamber to handle the enlarged division.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 131 times.