From the 1992 OHS Handbook: St. Patrick's Church was built to serve the "increasing number of English-speaking Catholics" in the growing section south of Ash Street. At first administered by the Pastor of St. Joseph's, the new Parish became independent in ltl94. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop James Augustine Healy in 1887, and the new brick church, which cost $100,000, was opened on Christmas Day 1890, with a "choir from St. Joseph's ... ac companied by organ and full orchestra." Whal the organ might have been, we do not know. The present organ was installed in 1893 at a cost of $5,000.
The Lewiston Saturday Journal for 14 October 1893 observed that "Lewiston and Auburn already have several very fine organs, and master hands to play them, and so we are all glad to know that there will soon be another large church organ added to the list. This Is the one now being finished in St. Patrick's Roman Catholic church, Lewiston. It is from the Boston house of Hook & Hastings. It is built in a gallery especially prepared for it, and presents to view an exterior comprising a quartered oak casing supporting groups of speaking pipes tastefully arranged and decorated in harmony with the color treatment of the church. The Instrument in every detail is made with the greatest care and from selected materials. It is voiced with special reference to the place It occupies, and special attention Is called to the distinctive characteristics of each Individual register. The tone of the organ is round and well balanced. The organ is blown by a powerful water motor which is controlled by a pedal at the organist's desk, and which is automatic in action. Musicians hope that when the organ is completed Father Wallace will favor them with a grand organ recital.. .. " The organ was dedicated 14 November 1893 with a recital by J. F. Donahoe, Organist at Holy Cross Cathedral In Boston.
In 1960, Rostron Kershaw of Lowell, Massachusetts, electrtfied the "2-32" Hook & Hastings organ and made some tonal changes. In the Great, a tenor C Unda Maris 8' took the place of the Trumpet 8'. In the Swell, the Bourdon 16' was removed from the chest and installed on a new chest outside the box; a Viola 8' of new supply house pipes was put In Its place. The original Viola 8' was changed lo a bass F Voix Celeste 8'. The Violina 4' was cut down to replace the original Flautino 2', and a Fugara 4' of recycled pipes was installed in place of the Violina 4'. The Cornopean 8' was replaced with a new Trumpet 8'. In the Pedal, the Violoncello 8' was removed. The Flute d'Amour 4' has bored stoppers; the Mixture III is 19-22-26; the Swell Open Diapason 8' has a stopped wood bass; the Flauto Traverso is a harmonic Melodia.
Relocated ca. 2014 to Holy Family Catholic Church in Lewiston. The cost of the relocation was paid for from the proceeds of the sale of the St. Patrick church and rectory. Ray Cornils played the re-dedication concert on April 24, 2015.
Updated through online information from Robert Faucher. -- Church closed. Pipes incorporated into new instrument at Holy Family Church, Lewiston, ME in 2011
Status Note: There 1992.
Electrified 1960 by Rostron Kershaw with tonal changes.