Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Morey & Barnes (Opus 162, 1895)

Exhibited in the 1980 OHS convention

Location:

Unitarian-Universalist / "The Cobblestone Church"
3 Church Street @ Elm
Cortland, NY 13045 US
Organ ID: 5425

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Unitarian, Universalist, Unitarian-Universalist
  • The organ has been restored to a previous state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on August 27, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 13 ranks. 711 pipes. 2 manuals. 14 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Stops: 14
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Paul R. Marchesano on August 27, 2021:

This organ stands in a central recess at the front of the frame building. The projecting key desk has terraced jambs and round-shank oblique knobs lettered in Old English; the Tremolo and coupler knobs are on the fall board above the Swell manual, divided on both sides of a patent wind indicator. The dated, six-sided, diamond-shaped ivory nameplate is• situated on the ·facade above the keydesk. The manual chests are N chests with low C at the treble end. Some ranks are marked with the number "3/M & B". (Morey's records indicate that this would have been number four of the firm. The St. Mary's organ, which would have been number seven, is marked number 165, reflecting a continuation of J. G. Marklove's numbering system.) The hand pumping mechanism is intact except for the pump handle having been sawed off. -- from 1980 OHS Handbook

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on August 27, 2021.

Database Manager on May 07, 2018:
We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Database Manager on October 20, 2008:

Updated through information posted to PIPORG-L by Cullie Mowers: -- The "little sister" of St. Mary's organ was historically restored in stages and rededicated in 2006. Its bright, clear ensemble with choruses through 2' on both manuals is amazingly flexible; the church is the oldest public building in the county.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 28, 2006:

On-line information from Cullie Mowers: Restored 2006. OHS Plaque presentation and recital by Will Headlee June 4, 2006.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1980

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
1980 OHS Handbook: Open In New Tab Originally published 1980
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on August 27, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ Case and Pulpit: Vintage Postcard; image courtesy of William Dunklin. Taken on 1909-01-13

Organ case in gallery and nameplate from 1980 OHS Handbook: Photograph from an archival source: 1980 OHS Handbook, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1980

Pipe Organs in New York sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 765 times.