This imposing stone building in the Venetian style was built in 1877, replacing a large and elegant colonial-style building. In 1895 the interior was redecorated by Tiffany Studios, including mosaics, stencilling, and windows- the building interior is spectacular. The Hook & Hastings organ was installed in 1897 as the Tiffany interior project was completed. The Hook opus list states the organ was a 2-manual with 23-registers. This matches the catalog Style 11-D: 17 stops, 19 ranks, and 23 registers.
This instrument was replaced by Hillgreen, Lane & Co. in 1958 as their No. 1216: a two-manual instrument reduced in size, with 21 stops from only 11 ranks, some of which used recycled Hook pipes, on ventil chests and electro-pneumatic action. This organ in turn, was rebuilt by the Delaware Organ Co. only 8 years later in 1966.
Status Note: There 1966.
Rebuilt Delaware bef. 1966.